The Shining

Discussion in 'Entertainment Discussions' started by Jason76, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+380
    I wouldn't say this movie is scary but it's just fascinating. Basically, it has appeal because the things driving the caretaker to insanity could happen to anyone. It's simply a man having his weaknesses played upon - leading to a tragic end.

Anyway, the hotel is a big star, by itself, as it's a really creepy looking place.

2. Gus

Gus Keep me posted.

+167
    Great movie, I’ve seen it a billion times.

3. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+380
    However, Stephen King, himself, didn't like the popular movie adaptation seeing Jack Nicholson as being predictable too early on in the movie - not to mention he was already associated with being crazy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest etc..)

4. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Acquaintance

+5
    I think with the Shining, you have a isolation thing going on with this guy, and Jack Torrence who is a writer, but has to support his family and look after the Overlook Hotel for the winter. The combination of isolation, monotony, creative frustration, and supernatural forces extract Jack's insanity.

5. Beerus

Beerus Acquaintance

+7
    I never viewed this as a horror film. It was always just suspense or thriller to me. Like mentioned it just shows how the mind can break down in isolation and repetition.

6. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+387
    I feel like 1408 was a bit scarier.