The Shining

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I wouldn't say this movie is scary but it's just fascinating. Basically, it has appeal because the things driving the caretaker to insanity could happen to anyone. It's simply a man having his weaknesses played upon - leading to a tragic end.

Anyway, the hotel is a big star, by itself, as it's a really creepy looking place.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
However, Stephen King, himself, didn't like the popular movie adaptation seeing Jack Nicholson as being predictable too early on in the movie - not to mention he was already associated with being crazy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest etc..)

Folk Artist

Acquaintance
Dec 12, 2018
FP$
I think with the Shining, you have a isolation thing going on with this guy, and Jack Torrence who is a writer, but has to support his family and look after the Overlook Hotel for the winter. The combination of isolation, monotony, creative frustration, and supernatural forces extract Jack's insanity.

Beerus

Acquaintance
Jan 7, 2019
FP$
I never viewed this as a horror film. It was always just suspense or thriller to me. Like mentioned it just shows how the mind can break down in isolation and repetition.