• Hello Guest, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our email system. Please expect a delay in email delivery.

Question Theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Farrell

Package Team Member
Package Team
Gamma Premium
FP$
Cookie Badge
I have no notes on my end, but from the logs, I can tell that the forum was being upgraded to the next version, and I am guessing the update required the main themes to be updated because of it.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Why didn't you guys just clone the style or set up a separate test environment?
I don't think that was the problem. I believe they must have updated the forum software and therefor the styles were out of date. I'll see if I can give a hand ;)

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Seem there are changes to the new software update. Theme is now back but everything seems smaller and text are smaller to read LOL
Yeah, it was definitely the style being out of date.

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
FP$
Why didn't you guys just clone the style or set up a separate test environment?

Here's another instance of them working on or changing things on a production environment :expressionless:

It's not hard to clone the site and make a dev environment, do it.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Here's another instance of them working on or changing things on a production environment :expressionless:

It's not hard to clone the site and make a dev environment, do it.
Look what's new another complainer lool

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
FP$
Look what's new another complainer lool

Yeah, another complainer, that's what I am. No, it's a valid point, and you know it is. You cannot just randomly bring down the site for server patching without notice to the users, change the theme to the default one randomly, or whatever else on a production environment. Yet, y'all do it all of the time. What happens if the patching goes wrong, a template edit doesn't work as expected, or something else breaks and now you're rushing to fix it because everyone will experience it?

You need to play it safe and have a sandbox environment to test these things in first. That update issue could have been prevented had you tested it in development first before migrating the changes over to the production copy. It's not hard guys, Xenforo even has a tutorial on how to do this. What's also really sad is Josh wasn't even in the loop of what was going on, he had to review logs to understand.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
But then what about issues that just arise that shouldn’t have? Come on don’t act like it doesn’t. One line of code can mess up everything. I don’t see it as a problem. It happens. You say do it on a DEV site, and when I did updates with FP that’s what I did. But then when you do the same on a live site it messes up due to one little thing.

So what I’m saying is stop getting up in arms about it and move on. By the looks of it no data was corrupted. I respect you and Matthew but some of you can be a little much.

D

Deleted member 7467

But then what about issues that just arise that shouldn’t have? Come on don’t act like it doesn’t. One line of code can mess up everything. I don’t see it as a problem. It happens. You say do it on a DEV site, and when I did updates with FP that’s what I did. But then when you do the same on a live site it messes up due to one little thing.

So what I’m saying is stop getting up in arms about it and move on. By the looks of it no data was corrupted. I respect you and Matthew but some of you can be a little much.
If that happens, revert to back up and go back to the dev site. A notice ahead of time is also nice. The way this was handled was sloppy. It may be a small inconvenience but those add up over time. Bad look.

Smokey

Paragon
Didn't think I'd stir up this much of an argument, I genuinely just wanted to know the reason for the theme going away as I haven't seen anything wrong with it prior to having to be reverted back to the default and wondered maybe a new theme was in development, that's all :p

I do agree on having a test bed/development site for future upgrade testing though. :)

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
If that happens, revert to back up and go back to the dev site. A notice ahead of time is also nice. The way this was handled was sloppy. It may be a small inconvenience but those add up over time. Bad look.
Why revert to a back up when the data itself wasn't affected? It was a styling issue. That's creating more work than just forcing everyone to use a different style.

D

Deleted member 7467

Why revert to a back up when the data itself wasn't affected? It was a styling issue. That's creating more work than just forcing everyone to use a different style.
Because it’s sloppy? Especially given no notice? It’s also a big risk not too? What if people screwed something up that shouldn’t have been screwed up? What if further down time ensued? What about the very public lack of communication between staff (ie josh not knowing anything about this maintenance.)? You can dislike my posts all you want but the fact remains this was sloppy maintenance. If you’re going to change user settings, at the very least, a notice 24 hours in advance should occur. Just because FP is running on a very thin applicant pool at this time does not mean that little details with potential for big impact need looked over.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Because it’s sloppy? Especially given no notice? It’s also a big risk not too? What if people screwed something up that shouldn’t have been screwed up? What if further down time ensued? What about the very public lack of communication between staff (ie josh not knowing anything about this maintenance.)? You can dislike my posts all you want but the fact remains this was sloppy maintenance. If you’re going to change user settings, at the very least, a notice 24 hours in advance should occur. Just because FP is running on a very thin applicant pool at this time does not mean that little details with potential for big impact need looked over.
It wasn't sloppy. It's an update that every website does it just happened to be something that was out of date caused it to mess up the style. Not the website. Probably running a low applicant pool because of certain members of the community who continue to run their mouth and make this place not very welcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.