Thoughts on Going to Jail

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Some problems would be the isolation, claustrophobia, the fact you might be a person whom nobody would call, send commissary to help the less then adequate food, or write to - or even sometimes do those things. Another problem would be boredom, unless you had some books to push your mind. Well, in my case, I would need to learn some skill like math or music, have some books on that available. That would make the time go way faster.

O.K., the final bad thing and the worst thing would be the separation from your spouse or children, especially, and from other loved ones. In fact, now with Covid a lot of jails don't even have in-person visitation. It's all by video and that can be expensive for your family - just like with the phones and to a lesser extent writing by mail or electronic mail.

Well, do you all feel jail is a good punishment for all crimes? Well, in some cases, the lesser crimes (or probation violations) that wouldn't get a lot of time or even would just get probation add up - leading to a long time.

Last edited:

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Just think of all the free things you get, free three meals a day, a roof over your head, if you are good you get little things for free like a tv. Some prisons allow you to do in jail money earning work. It's another good life in jails nowadays they make it really easy and whatnot. Not like 30 to 40 years ago where you get punched and rapped and bang into jail with no food to eat for years and never leave the dirty room. When you are in jail, there are two situations. Arrested, charged, waiting for trial. then Serving your sentence, which is typically under a year. Longer sentences are prison time. Jail is a men’s club, mostly. You can meet all kinds of people in jail, but the statistics say the poorer you are, the more likely you will go to jail. That means jails are disproportionately people of colour. Some people in jail are in their second home. They know their way around and that’s an advantage in jail society. They are thinking of making their time easier. Some people, it’s their first time, are scared. They are very anxious as to how this will turn out, and how can they can get along. Then Food is a big deal, Where your bunk is, also matters. There are some jails that have a big communal cell with lots of people. The TV channel is important. People in jail think about their previous concerns. Now they have those concerns and their court case and how to get by in jail. You have to get along with the guards and prisoners. It’s both frightening and boring.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Just think of all the free things you get, free three meals a day, a roof over your head, if you are good you get little things for free like a tv. Some prisons allow you to do in jail money earning work. It's another good life in jails nowadays they make it really easy and whatnot. Not like 30 to 40 years ago where you get punched and rapped and bang into jail with no food to eat for years and never leave the dirty room. When you are in jail, there are two situations. Arrested, charged, waiting for trial. then Serving your sentence, which is typically under a year. Longer sentences are prison time. Jail is a men’s club, mostly. You can meet all kinds of people in jail, but the statistics say the poorer you are, the more likely you will go to jail. That means jails are disproportionately people of colour. Some people in jail are in their second home. They know their way around and that’s an advantage in jail society. They are thinking of making their time easier. Some people, it’s their first time, are scared. They are very anxious as to how this will turn out, and how can they can get along. Then Food is a big deal, Where your bunk is, also matters. There are some jails that have a big communal cell with lots of people. The TV channel is important. People in jail think about their previous concerns. Now they have those concerns and their court case and how to get by in jail. You have to get along with the guards and prisoners. It’s both frightening and boring.

The comforts don't erase the separation from loved ones etc.. Anyway, some jails, especially in Scandinavia seem to be like college dorms - but I'm sure pretty much 100 percent people don't want to be there.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
but I'm sure pretty much 100 percent people don't want to be there.

What about the criminals that ACTUALLY deserve to be there?

I'm meaning criminals like pedophiles, rapists, and serial murderers; those who violated an innocent or purposely took the life of someone who didn't deserve it.

What about the victims? What about their rights?

And why would you feel sorry for someone who is in prison? What if it's a child murderer who was married with children and went next door and committed such a horrible act to someone else's family? Would you STILL feel sorry for the perpetrator and not the victim?

Why does the perpetrator deserve your pity over the victim?

Last edited:
Reactions: ZandraJoi

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Then those that got put into jail form or doing nothing, what happens to them and how can they have a life afterwards. A lot of that goes on also that people get to be released out of jail after 20 or 30 years and they did nothing wrong.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
What about the criminals that ACTUALLY deserve to be there?

I'm meaning criminals like pedophiles, rapists, and serial murderers; those who violated an innocent or purposely took the life of someone who didn't deserve it.

What about the victims? What about their rights?

And why would you feel sorry for someone who is in prison? What if it's a child murderer who was married with children and went next door and committed such a horrible act to someone else's family? Would you STILL feel sorry for the perpetrator and not the victim?

Why does the perpetrator deserve your pity over the victim?

I have some pity for even the worst criminals. Nonetheless, as the crime becomes more brutal, than say - unarmed assault, the pity is a lot less.

Now, when it comes to murder - sometimes, like with a gang, it's more about the culture and you might be just protecting someone - like say someone in the army does during battle. Nonetheless, it could be a 20 year or more murder sentence.

EasyPete

Acquaintance
Sep 9, 2010
Internet
www.WeLovetheEighties.com
FP$
Usually you’ll only experience claustrophobia is if you’re in a segregation unit or in max. If not claustrophobia would be the least of your concern. I’m speaking about the prison system in the US mind you. Not sure how they are elsewhere although in all reality in theory they serve the same purpose except the level of brutality is different.

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
This is a subject very close to my heart. I have custody of my 14 year old granddaughter because both her parents (she's my son's child) have a heroin addiction. My son has been in prison once for stealing for his habit but the mother is one of these people who is in and out of prison and returns straight away to her life of crime once she comes out.

I think it depends on personality. My son did 10 months and learned by it. Although he isn't a good role model to his daughter he does not offend now and has stayed out of prison. The mother is of very low intellect and although they clean her up inside they send her out with £180 to tide her over until she gets her benefits .. what do you think she does with that money once she regains her freedom? She was released from prison last Wednesday and has resumed her old way of life. There's no helping some people and I think she will either die of an overdose or be in and out of prison all her life.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$

Food can be good in jail, but there's nothing like being free and getting to access fast food and stuff. I mean, there's just something about being free, being able to move around, living a normal life in the west. When your in jail, it's all gone!

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
Food can be good in jail, but there's nothing like being free and getting to access fast food and stuff. I mean, there's just something about being free, being able to move around, living a normal life in the west. When your in jail, it's all gone!
With the pandemic things are much worse. My granddaughter's mother was stuck in her cell for 23 hours a day with one hour allowed in the yard for exercise a day. She was 10 stone when she went in and came out after 6 months weighing 15 stone. She said they ate a lot of potato.

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
It's all free for them but the end of the day tax payers that and who are us have to pay for it all.
That's true but what's the alternative? Having them robbing us all blind and causing heartache and mental health issues for their victims. She robbed a 14 year old girl in the street back in 2015 and this child is still in therapy because she is afraid to go out any more. She's also made death threats towards me so I was glad to see her locked up where she couldn't hurt anyone else.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
It's all free for them but the end of the day tax payers that and who are us have to pay for it all.

Well, maybe that's why rehabilitation is important - especially for less henious offenders. That way tax dollars are saved when they are kept out of jail etc.. as much as possible.

However, in some cases, I'm very upset with parents who raise kids to have no fear of the law. There's a payback to society. I mean, I don't want to be too strict on kids where don't have fun, but you know what I mean.

Really, in the end, it's very sad for those people who love them. Some people thrown in jail can't see that enough to not fear the law.

Reactions: sprite1950

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
Well, maybe that's why rehabilitation is important - especially for less henious offenders. That way tax dollars are saved when they are kept out of jail etc.. as much as possible.

However, in some cases, I'm very upset with parents who raise kids to have no fear of the law. There's a payback to society. I mean, I don't want to be too strict on kids where don't have fun, but you know what I mean.

Really, in the end, it's very sad for those people who love them. Some people thrown in jail can't see that enough to not fear the law.
I agree with rehabilitation in the main but I honestly believe that there is no helping some people. They just do what they have to do, rehab or jail time to get the law off their backs and then as soon as they are free again they return to their life of crime. I can only think they enjoy the buzz of getting away with their hideous crimes.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I have some pity for even the worst criminals. Nonetheless, as the crime becomes more brutal, than say - unarmed assault, the pity is a lot less.

Now, when it comes to murder - sometimes, like with a gang, it's more about the culture and you might be just protecting someone - like say someone in the army does during battle. Nonetheless, it could be a 20 year or more murder sentence.

I'm trying to understand why though. I could maybe relate if you did hard time yourself and you're coming at it from that perspective. Maybe you had a relative that had to go to prison for a while. I don't know. Some of those people are probably innocent of said crimes.

But as for my feelings towards child molesters, rapists, and serial murderers; I don't feel sorry for them. I'm sorry that you do. I'd rather they get capital punishment for what they did to all of those innocent people. I'm glad China kills their pedophiles. The US should follow that example.

Carlos X

Addicted
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
I was arrested over a power-hungry police officer's thirst for arresting Mexicans. My friend was being griefed by the officer, while I was blacked out drunk. I was told by my mother that I defended that Mexican woman. I was being a good friend.

So, instead of arresting HER, they arrested me. That day, they revoked my ID, which threw a wrench in my future errands.

I spent a night in jail with a scab on my knees. I was drunk, so I couldn't feel it out. But jails from my brother's experience is that you'll have anxiety 24/7. If you're sent to a well-known penitentiary, you'll have to look over your shoulder. Because there is a lot of stupidity is in prison.

There are gangs in them. There are people who will pick a reason for a fight just to feed their thirst for excitement.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I'm trying to understand why though. I could maybe relate if you did hard time yourself and you're coming at it from that perspective. Maybe you had a relative that had to go to prison for a while. I don't know. Some of those people are probably innocent of said crimes.

But as for my feelings towards child molesters, rapists, and serial murderers; I don't feel sorry for them. I'm sorry that you do. I'd rather they get capital punishment for what they did to all of those innocent people. I'm glad China kills their pedophiles. The US should follow that example.

Yeah, I have someone close in jail now.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: sprite1950

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
Yeah, I have someone close in jail now.
It does change your perspective a bit when someone close to you goes to jail. I was kind of relieved when my son went because I felt he was safer than being out on the streets although he did get beaten up once in prison. Some people see it as easy in there but it really wasn't. Sharing an open toilet with a guy he shared a cell with and then finding him hanging by a dressing gown cord from a pipe in the cell must have been pretty traumatic.

EasyPete

Acquaintance
Sep 9, 2010
Internet
www.WeLovetheEighties.com
FP$
Food good in jail? Have you eaten food in jails? Lol there’s nothing good about it unless all you eat is fast food.