Using a VPN

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
May 22, 2011
FP$
Does anyone here use a VPN for all of their Internet traffic? I have all of my household traffic being routed through a VPN through my router and my phone has a VPN profile set to default, thanks Android Pie.

There are alot of reasons to use a VPN, but I like my online privacy and my ISP can just shove it up their arse. I understand that a VPN isn't fool proof, but it does a great job at masking my traffic and protecting my DNS requests. Like the below leak test, only one server that receives my DNS requests which makes me happy.

upload_2019-3-28_0-3-15.png

Talk Mental Health

MeowsePad

Legendary Typer
Jun 4, 2008
FP$
I began using a VPN a few months ago. I previously was afraid of the loss of speed, but it doesn't seem to be significant enough for me to notice most of the time.

Reactions: mav3n

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I use a VPN some of the time, particularly for getting around geoblocks and a bit of Tor when I'm in the mood for some privacy. Some of the time, I don't really bother, although ISPs are trying to rub their noses in everyone's business these days.

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
May 22, 2011
FP$
I began using a VPN a few months ago. I previously was afraid of the loss of speed, but it doesn't seem to be significant enough for me to notice most of the time.

I don't really notice a speed reduction either. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not getting the full 150 Mbps service I'm paying for, but it's still plenty to support my QOS without noticing any issues.

I use a VPN some of the time, particularly for getting around geoblocks and a bit of Tor when I'm in the mood for some privacy. Some of the time, I don't really bother, although ISPs are trying to rub their noses in everyone's business these days.

I'm not a fan of my ISP knowing what I'm doing, any site or system for that matter. I like Onion routing while using a VPN, that's the ultimate data protection. I've only done it a few times though when I needed the most protection and anonymity.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I actually started using NordVPN a few weeks ago. I figured I'd take advantage of that 30 day money back guarantee they offer if I didn't care for it. I'm on lots of public WiFi networks since I'm always traveling and living in hotels, so I figured it would be a good thing to have. I kind of figured there would be a pretty serious speed difference, but there isn't even a noticeable difference with any of the servers I've connected to.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
I started using a free VPN when my IP got blocked by a host :eek: I am not too concerned about privacy unless the site owners I visit start blasting my location publicly after they do an IP check. My internet visits are mainly the news, research for some topics on forums, forums of course, Facebook, email and sometimes Pinterest if I need ideas. Edited to add recipe sites!

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
My privacy is very important but I'm not one of those people who posts on FB saying I'm going away for an week and so come an say hi at my home. I always keep it very low to what I do online and what I say. Yet I do not use VPN. Mainly since my connection is LOW and so I don't get the best out of it. My router cost me like £350 if not more that has built in software for privacy and even it's enable for my protection it does do how VPN does it.

But thought about this https://www.privateinternetaccess.com It's cheap and offers good results! It doesn't even matter if you use it if you are in the UK? right as long as IP isn't coming back to where your location is.

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
May 22, 2011
FP$
My privacy is very important but I'm not one of those people who posts on FB saying I'm going away for an week and so come an say hi at my home. I always keep it very low to what I do online and what I say. Yet I do not use VPN. Mainly since my connection is LOW and so I don't get the best out of it. My router cost me like £350 if not more that has built in software for privacy and even it's enable for my protection it does do how VPN does it.

But thought about this https://www.privateinternetaccess.com It's cheap and offers good results! It doesn't even matter if you use it if you are in the UK? right as long as IP isn't coming back to where your location is.

I have used PIA before, but didn't really like it. Fundamentally, that's how a VPN works. Your traffic is routed to a VPN server in the region of your choosing so to the site you visit, the traffic is coming from that server rather than your actual address. It's how you can get around geo-locked content. To the platform, you are just visiting the site from a local address when in fact you can be on the other side of the world.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
My only worry is whether the VPN can be trusted either ;)

Some governments and even criminals setup honeypots to spy on you, one reason that HTTPS is a top priority and some upcoming specs to make it harder for people to see which sites you're pinging DNS servers over.

Elli

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
I only use a VPN if I'm up to something sketchy, which isn't often anymore. TorGuard is one I've subscribed to in the past; it's supposedly one of the few VPN services that don't store any of your activity, so even if the government tried to access it, they couldn't since it was never saved. But who knows if that's actually the case.

Jon

Networking enthusiast
Jan 29, 2016
Canada
GamingBoards.net
FP$
I've used ExpressVPN for a long time, I'm very happy with the service they provide and the cost is fair. ExpressVPN does not store activity logs or connection logs of its users and has ultra-fast speeds. I usually have my iPhone connected at most times but I only activate my computer's VPN from time to time. Eventually, I'll pick up my own router so I can just set the VPN there to cover my LAN.

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009
South Carolina
www.ushost247.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Like Badge
Always using a VPN. I have the 3 year plan of NordVPN.
Use it on my phone, and my pc.

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
Feb 23, 2011
FP$

I don't really notice a speed reduction either. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not getting the full 150 Mbps service I'm paying for, but it's still plenty to support my QOS without noticing any issues.

I can't use it all the time - but I do use it from time to time.

Speed always takes a hit for me since I have gigabit at home, almost no VPN I've tried out (I've pretty much tested out all the big ones) come close to the full bandwidth I get at home.

K

kode_block

I've never used a VPN before and I always hated seeing those Sponsors and Ads on Youtube for things like NordVPN and IPVanish. They always annoyed me.

But as somebody who has started to take Privacy to the next level, I'm actually really interested in getting a VPN. Even if a VPN does slow down my speed, I'm not too bothered. As long as it protects my Privacy from my ISP and any Public Wi-Fi Spots, then I'm happy.