weed/marijuana and your views?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by NBK*Twitch, Aug 27, 2010.

1. NBK*Twitch

NBK*Twitch Seasoned Veteran

+1
    So what are you thoughts on weed ? I find it should be legal,but not just for medical purposes. The reason is simple,it is a natural plant. Why ban something that is natural to this planet yet allow man made products which are deadly be legal?

2. Cosmic

Cosmic Manners maketh man Retired Admin

+946
    Oil is natural, but if you poured a bunch of it in a lake then the EPA would be on you ASAP.

3. Nicholi

Nicholi Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0
    I also agree to legalize it! It would bring the over-populated prisons down to normal sizes and have beds for the real criminals.

4. Cosmic

+946
    Let's legalize illegal immigration so that we don't have to put Mexicans in jail. It would be racist, cruel, and unneeded. :roll:

5. InfiniteJest

InfiniteJest Paragon

+0
    Illegal Immigration and Marijuana are two completely different subjects. That's like comparing apples to construction equipment. Marijuana should be legalized, for people over the age of 18 and have the same kind of limitations as cigarettes do. You can tax the use of it, and use the money to pay for schools or roads.

6. Nicholi

Nicholi Up-and-Coming Sensation

+0
    Could not have said it better mate!!! It might help our wonderful country out of debt right now...just a thought to chew on...

7. Cosmic

+946
    @Nicholi: Not so much? The way to decrease the debt is by increasing economic growth. The larger the economy the higher government revenues are.

@Bono: So, once Marijuana is legal, then do you think people will si ton their porch happily abiding by the law? No, they would get an illegal drug which is far more dangerous. It is known as a gateway drug.

8. InfiniteJest

InfiniteJest Paragon

+0
    It's called responsibility. Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol, so I could say that beer is a gateway to harder liquor, but it's not. It's up to the people who use it to be responsible with it, and other drugs would remain illegal with the same penalties.

9. Cosmic

+946
    I don't really think it's the best idea to legalize Marijuana nationally, FYI, but I think that it's a matter the states should be entirely free to decide for themselves, just so you know.

10. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    Marijuana will never be legal in the United States with the way our current government works. It's simply too damn profitable to keep it illegal. Too many lobbyists from competing industries, and without them our men in power wouldn't have such deep pockets.

For one thing, the pharmaceutical industry could never live with marijuana being legalized. After all, it's a natural plant that can't be patented, and that is exactly why they are against it. Marijuana has over 200 medical uses, and if the US government actually allowed more testing in its medical use more could possibly be found. Slightly modified THC such as Marinol is perfectly legal as a drug because it's changed just enough to be issued a patent. Even "anti-drug" organizations support openly support marinol - I mean how can it be wrong if it's FDA approved? After all it's not like Heroin and Meth were originally meant as medicine...

The Tobacco and Alcohol industries both would face giant losses with a new legal competitor in their market, if they didn't tap into it. Just look at some sponsors of big anti-drug organizations and they'll be at the top of the list. Cigarettes kill 400,000 Americans a year and alcohol kills 100,000... both because politicians make a shit load of cash through both industries.

Dealers and growers of marijuana themselves would hate for it to be legalized. They would never be able to compete with large corporations and marijuana's prices would plummet, leaving the drug trade industry crippled. Really the biggest blow to organized crime the world could ever do would be to legalize marijuana and drugs, and of course prostition, but that's a different matter.

The paper industry while one you might not have considered also factors in this. Industrial hemp that can't get you high has many uses like paper, fabric, and even fuel (Ford himself grew hemp). What a wonderful plant, right? For some reason though it's illegal to grow in the good ol' US of A, yet it's perfectly fine to buy from other countries where (some) reason is included in the law making process.

The prison business is booming and could never be better. We've got the highest prison population of the entire world, and our leaders are damn proud of it. Of that, in 2000 22% was for drug charges, a number that has without a doubt increased since the last census. Infact, the number of prisoners for violent crimes has decreased since our prison population grew dramatically, wonder why? The US has hundreds of privately owned prisons, guess who's sitting behind those bars, and guess who's paying for them.

Finally, "drug" (or more accurately marijuana) tests are a big business these days. Everyone from your employer to your mom is helping these companies cash in. "Drug" tests are inaccurate simply because most hard drugs like heroin will be out of your system in a few days, while marijuana is the one that stays. Basically, it's alright to do Heroin, but god forbid you smoke weed. Rapists and murderers are allowed to take out things like school loans while a convicted marijuana user can't... what kind of message is that?

It's just politics. No politician who has a good chance of being elected will support marijuana. The masses have been brainwashed one way or another since marijuana was made illegal in 1920. First, it was used as anti mexican propaganda. Nowadays the idea is marketed by calling marijuana a "drug" that has been made stronger since all the hippies used it. Whatever it is, it's brainwashing and was rooted in racism. Nixon himself said "every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana are Jewish".

Thats basically all from me for now on the matter. It's late and I'm tired as hell so there may be a few errors. I can source everything here if needed. Maybe one day we'll see justice, but for now we got to make the best of things and protect our rights as citizens. They can try to take them away, but we've just got to keep on fighting :yes:

11. InfiniteJest

InfiniteJest Paragon

+0
    Well said sir. It's unfortunate, but what you've said seems to be the truth. Lobbyists have a tight grip on Washington, and we can only hope there will be even more reforms to combat their influence.

12. katy perry is hot

katy perry is hot Seasoned Veteran

+0
    Marijuana is a gateway drug because it's illegal. The reason why people move onto different drugs from it is because of the dealers offering them the more serious stuff.

It's a natural plant. You should be able to put it in your body. An adult should be able to determine what he puts in his body. Not the government. And no, that doesn't justify legalizing meth, heroin, etc, because those are not naturally occurring items.

And cosmic, why? The government needs money. States and national. They should be all legalizing it and putting a fat tax on marijuana. I'll guarantee you the economy will drastically approve.

13. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    this.
    Really though I don't see the reason to stop fighting them anyway. Junkies are gonna keep on getting high one way or another, and keeping them illegal only helps the mafia gain insane profits from such drugs.
    It sounds great but it's simply not possible to work out that way. Currently, a state can't legalize marijuana. Even medical marijuana users (cancer patients, people suffering from multiple sclerorsis) run the risk of being arrested by the federal government. Last few big busts I recall were for medical marijuana suppliers anyway. The feds simply are getting enough $$ from lobbyists so they have no reason to legalize it and piss off their paychecks.

14. Cosmic

+946
    As I said, I have nothing against it being a state issue. I think that would be the perfect solution. Places like California would probably legalize it. It should be something that the people have a right to decide for themselves.

15. katy perry is hot

katy perry is hot Seasoned Veteran

+0
    Then first it needs to be decriminalized on a federal level.

16. +Tattoo

+Tattoo Reputable

+0
    I agree, there's a lot worse things that are legal than Cannabis that kills Human Life...

17. Cosmic

+946
    I agree to that, although there needs to be a several month period to give states time to outlaw it if they wish.

18. +Tattoo

+Tattoo Reputable

+0
    Also, it would free up space in jails and in the courts due to stupid and petty citations and charges due to the law.

19. MissTake

MissTake Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+0
    Ok, my two pennyworth,

Heroin is a derivative of a natural substance, the poppy, so that kind of blows the natural substance theory out of the window.

Marijuana/weed/grass/skunk or whatever other variation of it has many proven studies against the belief that it is a harmless drug. Short term use does not produce the long term side effects you will/may encounter. Severe anxiety and depression, OCD's, panic attacks and paranoia are just a few and as with smoking you don't really worry about health issues until you encounter them.

I can speak from personal experience, someone close to me used to love to smoke the stuff, it was their life....one bad smoke later it all went pear shaped, transforming them from a healthy active, outgoing, fun loving person to a shaking, agoraphobic, reclusive shell of themselves. This is not just a short term issue either, it's been going on for more than 10 years, it's a long slow and often painful road back.

Fine, it's your bodies and your lives to do with as you please but I must point out that there are consequences to what you think is harmless, long term it can ruin your life, mental illness is not fun.

20. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    Anything that is misused can ruin your life. The key is controlling your own life, not letting a thing like weed control it for you :yes: