What age using computer?

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
At what age did you first use a computer? I was 17 years old and was dating the guy who became my husband. He and his dad had a computer (I think a TRS 80?) in the basement with a dot matrix printer hooked up to it. My boyfriend (now husband) had entered some coding in for hours to play a game and he showed it to me and I had no idea what any of it meant. He printed something out and it took about an hour LOL I'll never forget the sound of that printer trying to work it's way through one page.

OH and they used cartridges to store information on!

Talk Mental Health

apathy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
fortreeforums.xyz
FP$
Man I love revelling in stories about old tech and just how awkward it all is in comparison to today lol
We got our first family PC when I was around 3 years old, so sometime around 1998. It was a Gateway machine that I remember nothing about spec wise, but thankfully after some sleuthing I found a post on Neogaf where someone had it:

YkOA0lt.jpg

"It basically looked like this. Pentium III processor, 64 MB of RAM, 14 GB HDD. Ran like ass, but it ran Diablo II like a damn dream, I'll tell you what."

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
The first PC that I own was at the age of 11 years to age 12 years old :) Was easy enough since at 10 I moved to the state to state then 6 months I went back to school and that's when I got into PC. I had many desktops/laptops over the years.

My first desktop was so big that you needed a big desk, Has no OS since it used the old-style floppy disks LOL and screen was big butt end.

• Love
Reactions: Lämmchen

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
We were using computers in elementary school for an assortment of reasons, so I'd say I first used a computer in school when I was like five years old. I even took a computer class back then. I remember learning about floppy disks.

• Love

Joshua Farrell

Papa Smurf
Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
THe first computer I remember using, was when I was 6 or 7 years old. Windows 4.3 was the name. I had a favorite treasure hunting game I used to play on it from a floppy drive. Sadly, I do not know what the game title was, so it will be hard for me to figure out if they ever have a current edition made that doesn't require a floppy anymore.

• Love

MeganChan

Ferret Queen
Jul 20, 2015
caludin.com
FP$
Probably around middle school so like in early teens. I remember them having us use them more in school, and I started using our computers at home more for chatting and looking up stuff on anime.

• Love

Abizaga

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jul 10, 2020
geezezone.com
FP$
At what age did you first use a computer? I was 17 years old and was dating the guy who became my husband. He and his dad had a computer (I think a TRS 80?) in the basement with a dot matrix printer hooked up to it. My boyfriend (now husband) had entered some coding in for hours to play a game and he showed it to me and I had no idea what any of it meant. He printed something out and it took about an hour LOL I'll never forget the sound of that printer trying to work it's way through one page.

OH and they used cartridges to store information on!
Probably 5 or 6 years old on my parents' old IBM computer running windows 3.1!

Last edited:
  • Love

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
Computer usage not counting a video game probably started around second/third grade. I would spend hours searching for cheat codes for my video games. The Cartoon Network website was also amazing.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
I was 11 when I first started learning how to use a computer. We used desktops that had Windows 95 at the elementary school that I went to.

sprite1950

Reputable
Mar 31, 2021
FP$
I am 70 years old so for most of my life there was no internet (yes we all survived!) I bought my first computer from a friend at work for £30, a big heavy box shaped device which I had for years. I got it when I first moved to my present property so I guess it would have been 2005 when I was 55. I just can't imagine being without the internet now.

Reactions: ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Package Team Member
Package Team
Jun 11, 2020
Michigan
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
When I was a teen. I originally had a Word Processor unit (if anybody remembers those lol) for schoolwork. The first Word Processor just had a little display. The 2nd one we got had a monitor & that was so wonderful!
Then we got a computer but couldn't get it to work well. But I did play black & white Tetris on it lol