What Are You Planning On Doing With Your Forum For 2019?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Talk' started by Dagex, Jan 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+68
    So now that 2019 has rolled around, what are you planning for your forum this year. Plans for big updates, events etc. For me, this year is going to be growing the site and updating it to better fit the user.

2. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+271
    Remembering that it exists for starters.

I'll just do whatever I do. We'll have to see.
    Maybe, I'll open another two or three forums with my "ultimate" forum software.

I'll have to find a good mail service first though. Hopefully, one which doesn't prompt me for my credit card details.

3. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+68
    It's probably best that you have just 1 forum, maybe 2. But more than that is beyond crazy, you shouldn't need that many forums, plus, you'll become stressed because of the amount of forums your managing.

I'm also not sure why a mail service provider needs your credit card details. Make sure you aren't in the dark web. :p

4. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+271
    I have yet to find one which doesn't want my credit card details, I'll look again in a bit.
    There is always the option of sending emails directly from the server, but those tend to go into spam.

Password resets, email validation, and what-not.
    And managing a few forums isn't too difficult, the secret is for them to not be overly active.

5. SarahGirl

SarahGirl Familiar Face

+10
    Keep building it up

6. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident

+44
    The biggest thing for my site going forward in 2019 is bolstering it up. I'd like to get the activity level way up.

In 2019 so far I've already done a bit of work. Namely we changed from a roleplay site to a gaming one. I'd been thinking about that change for a while. I no longer roleplayed anymore. I was a part of a few roleplay directories in the past but over time I found myself disillusioned with almost all of them. To the point that I did not want to associate with the term roleplayer or be called a roleplayer or use that title. Eventually I just realised that I needed to walk away from it altogether.

The core reason for my disgust was the fact that roleplayers, in my experience, are pretty miserable people. The community does not talk to each other... they let little issues fester until things explode. Or in other cases they won't stick up for themselves or their sites. (I can't recall how many times an admin would come with the same complaint that basically boils down to: "someone is misbehaving, what do I do?" and almost universally they never tried talking to the person. They would instead run to a directory for feedback or validation.)

Roleplayers also have an unhealthy obsession with celebrities. To the point that some people will create characters only so they can more or less write about that actor/actress/celebrity. (So not like a case of "this character happens to look like Chris Pratt" but instead a case of them writing Chris Pratt as their character.) Which is massively creepy.

And then of course is the massive influx of social justice policy that roleplayers are infatuated with. There are too many that love preaching diversity... yet they're the very ones picking the celebrities to write as and they almost never go with diverse characters. (Though it makes sense for a reason... because if they do make a more diverse character they're likely to run afoul of someone and get called all kinds of things like racist/sexist/whatever. So it really is a no win situation.) And if you're not up on all the latest policies you pretty much get blacklisted anyway.

I also plan on using a new theme also to accompany the new direction we're going in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Teg

Teg Package Team Member

+97
    I actually have two projects in the works for 2019. A full on Harry Potter Hogwarts RPG complete with classes and then a support forum for my website which is basically just a streamer/designer site to showcase my stream, a couple of my friends and artwork. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bryn

Bryn Paragon

+212
    Make it better if I can, simply.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daniel

Daniel Package Team Leader Package Team

+177
    I have a contest geared up for my forum :) excited to get it started soon!

• Like Like x 1
    • Cool Cool x 1
  10. jenna appleseed

jenna appleseed New Arrival

+8
    Good luck with your contest - I've just started a small one on my new music fanzine forum to try and encourage fans to post there instead of just commenting on facebook.

Me: Experiment with themes and choose one to replace the default.
    Explore & add plugins. Organise.describe the sections better, post on it more, do promotion & hopefully get more members.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grimalkin

Grimalkin Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+764
    2 things I had planned were create a new "theme" and get a contest going. The "theme" was added to the forum yesterday and the contest started yesterday. I've got some other things brewing but that's what I had going to get the forum off to a different foot for 2019.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+438
    I really want to develop TheDrumLesson.com cause now I am building a lead list via Facebook Groups. The idea is to get a lead list and they can get free lessons on the forum (via the group) - and later sneak in the Patreon page (on the group), where people can access premium content.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,192
    Only one thing! Keep on promoting but using new methods and new ways. Also I thought about opening another new sites. Well still thinking about it....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+68
    I really love all of your plans. Most of them are about growing which is something I'm wanting to do with my new forum that I started yesterday which is 'SocialME'

15. danthex

danthex GamingBoards.net King Community Team

+167
    Offering HTTPS in all areas, not just the sensitive ones. Also, a "night-mode" theme switch, and much more. I'm feeling quite confident that 2019 will be GamingBoards.net best year yet. :bluesquaresmug:

16. Web2019

Web2019 Reputable

+34
    I have big plans for my upcoming news website.

17. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+68
    Sounds awesome. As I’ve said multiple times, I want to start growing my new forum which you can talk about almost anything on. I am promoting it but I might get some posting packages or posts exchanges.

18. Soopairik

Soopairik Reputable

+46
    Post on it.

19. Bryn

Bryn Paragon

+212
    It still needs a custom skin though. Sorry to nitpick, again.

20. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+68
    Who are you talking to in this sense? Soopairik or Me?