What is stopping you from learning?

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I had a lot of hesitations about learning to code or master a new skill when I was younger, but only because I thought it would be too difficult. Once I learned PHP I started trying to learn 1-2 new languages per year.

So, what is your reason for not learning a new language or your first one ?

:( Oh, I wouldn't have even guessed that! You're always replying well and I've always thought of you as a quick learner / intelligent.
Sorry to hear it's a challenge for you.
I didn't mean that I do lol I'm just stating my facts that there are people out there that do you know

Reactions: Ghost

Lämmchen

Addicted
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Right now what stops me from learning is not having the time to fully implement what I learn so I don't lose the information.

I chose to learn Spanish 15 years ago with the help of books and audio but then when I felt comfortable enough to try it out, none of my Spanish speaking friends would talk Spanish with me. So I never got the chance to use what I learned to retain things and have lost so much of that knowledge. That's my fear about learning new computer languages is not having time to actually use them right now to retain those skills.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I didn't mean that I do lol I'm just stating my facts that there are people out there that do you know
Oh, I understand!
I think I recall you saying that you love CSS the most - What made you want to learn that in the first place?

I just don't have enough time to do it.
I have school.
I'm also lazy so it's a no for me.
Mmm, I hear ya. Everything piles up when you have school.
One thing to keep in mind is that you CAN code scripts to do some of your homework for you :)

Right now what stops me from learning is not having the time to fully implement what I learn so I don't lose the information.
I chose to learn Spanish 15 years ago with the help of books and audio but then when I felt comfortable enough to try it out, none of my Spanish speaking friends would talk Spanish with me. So I never got the chance to use what I learned to retain things and have lost so much of that knowledge. That's my fear about learning new computer languages is not having time to actually use them right now to retain those skills.
Mm, that can be a major issue. I dabbled with Java a bit ago & even created a working piece of software that I shared here.
However, I haven't had the time to really get back into it since and forgot a lot of the syntax that I learned. I will have to freshen up again.

Spanish is one thing that I somehow held on to. I can still understand a lot of basic sentences & speak well enough to say what I need, want, think, etc & what I have, where I am going, and all of the other basic questions and statements to survive. I forget a lot of the different rules though for like past tense, present tense, future tense, but I can remember how to speak those for certain more common verbs.
I think it just comes down to practicing for the sake of practicing. So for coding, I like to write code every day so it's fairly enjoyable and even though I didn't do well in school and I always sucked at remembering things, coding has come quite naturally because I am passionate and practice daily. It's my full time job as well, so I can't avoid it lol!

Reactions: Lämmchen
think I recall you saying that you love CSS the most - What made you want to learn that in the first place?
Well if you into colours and designing and or photo editing then it's fun playing with colours and whatnot.

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Well if you into colours and designing and or photo editing then it's fun playing with colours and whatnot.
Yes, absolutely. I am not the hugest fan of CSS, but there's nothing like seeing a beautiful website that just blows me out of the water.
How long have you been making designs for?

Reactions: Empire

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I'm too busy and stupid to learn new things usually. XD Programming is something I've dabbled in, but I've never taken the time or effort to get better at it.
I have a firm belief that the average person thinks programming is more difficult than it is, which is ironic considering the English language is far more complex than many programming languages.

Keep your mind open to it, it's never too late!! :)

I have a firm belief that the average person thinks programming is more difficult than it is
Depends on how you learn it right, Some learn it in such an hard way that they get to get lost.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Depends on how you learn it right, Some learn it in such an hard way that they get to get lost.
I agree, but that can also be a major benefit. I always try to learn a new skill by deciding what I want to make and then researching the language. That way I have a purpose for it all and a vision of what I want to create. I inevitably get stuck at some point with every new language I try, but for me that helps me learn faster than being taught directly. Sometimes I have even spent hours on something just to scrap it and do it better, but that kind of forces my mind to remember the right way. So for me, I have found that being lost is actually the best and fastest way to REMEMBER the coding skills, even if it takes longer to actually produce working code at first. It's kind of like how you may need to copy a word 100 times in school to remember it, but failing a test because of one word will help you remember it too. I could have memorized words in 3rd grade for the spelling B, but maybe it would have taken me a month to master the list. Instead I got disqualified from the spelling B In round 2 because I misspelled "government". I forgot the first N. so while I could have recited that word 100 times, I instead failed on that word - the end result is that I never misspelled it again. This is my view on coding too. Making Mistakes and being lost can be equally effective as learning in a more organized fashion, if not more effective.

MasterA

Madly Diligent
Jan 20, 2013
FP$
I agree, but that can also be a major benefit. I always try to learn a new skill by deciding what I want to make and then researching the language. That way I have a purpose for it all and a vision of what I want to create. I inevitably get stuck at some point with every new language I try, but for me that helps me learn faster than being taught directly. Sometimes I have even spent hours on something just to scrap it and do it better, but that kind of forces my mind to remember the right way. So for me, I have found that being lost is actually the best and fastest way to REMEMBER the coding skills, even if it takes longer to actually produce working code at first. It's kind of like how you may need to copy a word 100 times in school to remember it, but failing a test because of one word will help you remember it too. I could have memorized words in 3rd grade for the spelling B, but maybe it would have taken me a month to master the list. Instead I got disqualified from the spelling B In round 2 because I misspelled "government". I forgot the first N. so while I could have recited that word 100 times, I instead failed on that word - the end result is that I never misspelled it again. This is my view on coding too. Making Mistakes and being lost can be equally effective as learning in a more organized fashion, if not more effective.
I think the main issue for me is not having a teacher. I remember when I first started learning how to code, I spent maybe an hour trying to fix an error and in the end I found out it was just missing a semi-colon. I do agree that every time you fix errors and bugs, you learn a lot. When I see the same errors again, I can literally fix it within a few seconds because I will never forget the time I spent one hour just because I forgot to end the statement with a semi-colon. Having said all this, learning coding by yourself is very time consuming as you spend a lot of time trying to work things out with limited support. This is definitely an off-putting factor for me.