What is your internet speed?

Azareal

Paragon
Nothing too special. Something along the lines of 20MB/s lol
I probably could upgrade to something a bit faster, but it's doing me fine for now.
Wish Europe had Fiber...
It depends on where you are. If you're out in a really rural area, then you're much less likely to get it than if you were in or around a major city.

Also, new developments sometimes have much more advanced infrastructure than old buildings (as they have to outfit it with a line and everything anyway), so you might even find FTTH in one, although your ISP might not necessarily give you the full speeds.

edenwax

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 24, 2011
ed3n.me
FP$

I don't believe this, though. Isn't Speedtest owned by Comcast? I wouldn't put it past them to bump their own numbers. This is what Google's test gave me:

View attachment 6539
(Ex-ISP employee here) Where I cant speak for Comcast, ISPs usually host their own Speedtest.net servers as its a more accurate way of gauging how much speed you're actually getting from your ISP. Googles speed test, much like the PS4 built in speed test and others aren't very accurate as they have to route from your ISP to a remote speed test server. Netflix's Fast.com can also be fairly accurate if your ISP hosts Netflix caching servers.

Anyway, here's my result from school:

Elli

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
(Ex-ISP employee here) Where I cant speak for Comcast, ISPs usually host their own Speedtest.net servers as its a more accurate way of gauging how much speed you're actually getting from your ISP. Googles speed test, much like the PS4 built in speed test and others aren't very accurate as they have to route from your ISP to a remote speed test server. Netflix's Fast.com can also be fairly accurate if your ISP hosts Netflix caching servers
Interesting, so you're saying that Speedtest.net is more accurate and trustworthy after all? I thought I heard once that Comcast bought it, but when I google it now, it seems to be an unaffiliated company.

Azareal

Paragon
Googles speed test, much like the PS4 built in speed test and others aren't very accurate as they have to route from your ISP to a remote speed test server.
It really depends. If you can't see speeds transfer over to the real world and only work on the ISP's networks, then they're little more than numbers as you're practically never going to see those speeds anyway.

edenwax

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 24, 2011
ed3n.me
FP$
Googles speed test, much like the PS4 built in speed test and others aren't very accurate as they have to route from your ISP to a remote speed test server.
It really depends. If you can't see speeds transfer over to the real world and only work on the ISP's networks, then they're little more than numbers as you're practically never going to see those speeds anyway.
That's true. Where speedtest.net might give you the most accurate connection speed between you and your ISP(provided they host a Speedtest.net server), real world speeds (between you and the websites you connect to) will definitely differ.