What motivates you to post/stay active on a forum?

Discussion in 'Forum & Website Management' started by Umbreon, May 3, 2015.

1. Umbreon

Umbreon Paragon

+2
    Like what the title says, what motivates you to actively contribute on a forum? For example, some of you have over 1,500 posts on Forum Promotion? What keeps you going? Why do you like posting on the forum so much?

2. Migi

Migi Phantom Thief Lv. N00B Retired Admin

+339
    If I have to sum it to one point, it will be because there are conversations to enjoy.

People may not always be in the mood to talk, but we must always try to drive conversation to take place. You can't have a good activity if in your general chat thread all the posts are hello-how are you-I'm good thanks and you-I'm fine too. Or in discussions like this, leaving one reply then never returned again. Of course, not all threads or posts can be replied to for a long time, but we should always try to give a response to other posts and keep the discussion going. Without realizing it, you will keep on posting and the post count has gone up so high.

3. pandaa

pandaa Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2
    Yup. Being a webmaster and running forums just happens to be something that I'm really interested in, and I like talking to people about it. If someone comes to the forum, I'd like them to know that they can talk about anything, and their words won't fall on "deaf ears", so to speak. :)

4. Jake

Jake Paragon

+0
    I don't do it as often as I once did or as often as I would like to, however a big motivating point is the community backing the forum.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Manners maketh man Retired Admin

+808
    I'd say that my main motivation is being seen as a valuable, respected member of the community. :) I guess that's one reason why I post a lot on a couple forums, instead of a little bit on a lot of forums. I think that by concentrating your efforts on a couple of communities, you can get a lot more done, and have a much more awesome experience. :D

6. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell Administrator Administrator

+918
    What normally motivates me to be active on a community, is the fact that as i continue to post, I learn more about others, and usually end up enjoying their company.

7. RH-Calvin

RH-Calvin Paragon

+58
    Engaging in various active conversations help to keep me away from any time of isolation and knowledge about various happenings during my free times. Forums help to communicate effectively with various members with similar tastes.

8. Migi

Migi Phantom Thief Lv. N00B Retired Admin

+339
    This is also a good motivating point as long as it is not abused to the wrong way. When I first started with forums, I noticed users with higher post counts have these awesome ranks and I wanted to have those too and got acknowledged by the community. It was even more fun because I got to make friends along the way. :D

9. Mikaya

Mikaya Madly Diligent

+4
    If there are a lot of interesting threads, I'd want to try to contribute myself. There would have to be new content/threads frequently to keep me busy. Constant active posters are a plus too.

10. Cody

Cody Seasoned Veteran

+2
    What keeps me going back to forums and staying active are the people. If the members are good and friendly for the most part, I will never leave that specific forum even if I didn't post much about the main focus of the forum. For example, I'm active on a video game forum, but I hardly post in the video game sections anymore.

11. Reddyash

Reddyash Up-and-Coming Sensation

+3
    I stay longer when I see some interesting posts and contests.

12. Umbreon

Umbreon Paragon

+2
    Thank you for your inputs! Anyone else interested in sharing your thoughts?

13. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Powered by Starbucks

+83
    Liking the community and being interested in the topics. There are other reasons why I might join a forum, but those two things will keep me around.

Having time is a thing too, but that's not something the forum staff can control (and even I can't sometimes lol).

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Paragon

+1
    The forum has to have active topics and people constantly adding. I don't like being on a forum where I'm the only one posting and contributing to something other people are not. Just doesn't seem fair.

15. Cierra

Cierra Retired Staff

+97
    I like sharing my opinions and receiving feedback from others. I also usually like the communities. A forums design or features it offers also play a factor.

16. Ash

Ash Seasoned Veteran Community Team

+269
    If its a good community and has good people that are active then I will stay for a good chat etc. I think staff are important as well as if their is a staff member you dislike then I highly doubt I would stay there

17. Enyo

Enyo New Arrival

+0
    If a forum is active, I am more likely to stay active on that forum over an inactive or small community. Though, a few communities are extremely active, but lack a community atmosphere. I'd be motivated to stay active on an friendly, active community which is welcoming.

18. MasterA

MasterA Administrator Retired Admin

+662
    The main motivation for me back when I was a member was really just promoting my site and doing exchanges. Now as staff, I am motivated because of being staff. It is also fun to interact with members and participate in some great discussion.

19. Smokey

Smokey Paragon

+77
    Content, friendly community, good looking design are three main reasons why I stay active on any given forum. :) If it's a niche i'm knowledgeable in such as gaming or a good general discussion forum I enjoy it even more being an active part of the community. :)

20. Reddyash

Reddyash Up-and-Coming Sensation

+3
    Currently what motivates me to stay in a forum is as long as I am getting my forum to be promoted and post exchanges done on a regular basis, I will always be active on that forum.