What's the best free control panel for a LAMP stack VPS server?

Mutiny

New Arrival
Mar 26, 2021
FP$
Anyone have any suggestions for a free control panel for a LAMP stack server? I've been playing with Webmin / Virtualmin and while it gets the job done, I just hate how it is laid out. I'm always bouncing between the different interfaces. For instance, I have to switch between webmin and virtualmin to set up a database for a site. I've used CPanel and DirectAdmin in the past, however their new pricing sucks unless you want a single account on the server.

Any other control panels that anyone here recommends? I would prefer something that installs the LAMP stack on the server for me and it must support PHP 7.X. Thanks!

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I've used CPanel and DirectAdmin in the past, however their new pricing sucks unless you want a single account on the server.
Are you sure for DirectAdmin? Especially if you go to some VPS providers you can get it cheap "bolt on" if not even free.

Because to be frankly honest here nothing quite beats DirectAdmin (I wouldn't even care for Cpanel) in terms of quality, reliability and even accessible usage as a deaf and blind person. Thank to their small army of theming, options and so forth.

Mutiny

New Arrival
Mar 26, 2021
FP$
I would love DirectAdmin if the price is right, but I would want something where I can have multiple accounts on the VPS, not just a single account with multiple domains. I haven't seen a lot of hosts offering DirectAdmin, usually it's just CPanel.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I would love DirectAdmin if the price is right, but I would want something where I can have multiple accounts on the VPS, not just a single account with multiple domains. I haven't seen a lot of hosts offering DirectAdmin, usually it's just CPanel.
Try this in your search engine and see if this helps "VPS with directadmin" or variations like free, included, etc. You should be able to find some VPS providers who does this. In light of the CPanel bull ships there are some VPS providers jumping on in the bandwagon for this.

Additionally I understand what you are saying if you have more than a few to an account especially. Would be cool if I could sell it in blocks and you could split it yourself but obviously this isn't something that out of the box for hosts to be able to do. :(

Mutiny

New Arrival
Mar 26, 2021
FP$
It looks like there are some hosts offering VPS with DirectAdmin, but picking a host is hard. I'll take a look at what is out there though.

Basically for the multiple accounts, it used to be that with CPanel and DirectAdmin you could cheaply get a license that would allow you to provision multiple accounts under the main CPanel or DirectAdmin account. Now, you can still get that, but it's more expensive. The lowest tiered account is where you have a single account, but multiple domains under an account. I don't like that due to how it provisions the files, all of the files for all the domains are under the one account, so if the one account gets breached, they have access to all of the sites under that account. Having a separate account per domain gives some protection against one site being hacked affecting the rest.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Now, you can still get that, but it's more expensive.
Actually it been the same 29 bucks as it been even in the 2010's. The different now is for smaller client basises who don't need as many accounts. For example the account below that is just 14 bucks a month and let you have 10 accounts with unmetered domains I think?
I don't like that due to how it provisions the files, all of the files for all the domains are under the one account, so if the one account gets breached, they have access to all of the sites under that account. Having a separate account per domain gives some protection against one site being hacked affecting the rest.
Exactly too bad there isn't isolation like Pterodactyl does for game servers (it's does this by isolating them in Docker Containers). Would kicks butts if there were containerization solutions like this for web providers like myself.