When do you become an adult?

Joshua Farrell

Forum Stock Market General Manager
Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
Like Badge
There is an array of opinions as to when a person fully matures. Should the legal age of adulthood be lowered or raised? At what age do you think you are an adult?

I personally think that for the average person, age 21 in the U.S. is a good starting point. Some can act as adults at the age of 18, but I don't think that many are ready to act like adults until they have been out in the world away from partying all the time with friends, and involved with working to earn ones passage.

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
I thought I was an adult at the age of 16. Now that I'm in my 50s I see I didn't stop being a bratty kid until I was 30. If being an adult means you take on your own responsibilities then 21 is a good age. If being adult means you are ready mature mentally then it could mean any age LOL

Pennywise

Madly Diligent
I've seen some people go out in the world and can be an adult at 18 years old. However, I've seen some people who are way older than that who act like a spoiled, bratty kid well into their 20's and some even into their 30's. I don't think you can pinpoint acting like an adult to one specific age. I think it will definitely vary from one person to the next. Some people just grow up faster than others.

Thomasss

Espresso Dependent
Jan 28, 2013
FP$
You're an adult when you realize $200 is not really a lot of money, and other kids judge you when you buy toaster strudel at the store...