Question Where is the FP traffic coming from?

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I'm just curious. I hope it's not pop-under stuff or something like that - cause that's often fake I think.

Anyway, there seems to be 300 people online, somewhere along that line - all the time.

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
I don't know the answer to your question about where people come from but the 300 people online are usually search engines/crawlers. I have noticed that if someone from another country or they use a VPN logs into Christianity Haven that we'll have a bunch of Guests logged in. The number of guests is lower for the normal users who live in the US and don't use a VPN to log in.

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009
South Carolina
www.ushost247.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Like Badge
I don't know the answer to your question about where people come from but the 300 people online are usually search engines/crawlers. I have noticed that if someone from another country or they use a VPN logs into Christianity Haven that we'll have a bunch of Guests logged in. The number of guests is lower for the normal users who live in the US and don't use a VPN to log in.
This is correct. There is always a large number of bots/crawlers on the forum which count as guests.

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009
South Carolina
www.ushost247.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Like Badge
Well, I'm trying not to be cynical - but if the traffic is sort of fake - then how is it worth it to buy advertising on FP? Are the stats claimed in the ad section based on truth?
Bots/Crawlers are usually not counted in statistics with Google Analytics.

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
Often forum software inflates the stats from what I have seen. Bots and crawlers often have nothing to crawl on site that has no replies for last 6 hours or so. Yet stats show them.
It's not the forum software. The traffic you get from the site is relative to what that traffic "agent" is doing on your site. Therefore, those bots/crawlers/whatever are a little helpful in other areas, like google adsense/crawlers are looking at your site better. I don't like the bots as in the ones that are there for malicious reasons, but the crawlers is what I want on my site, rather than the bots. The sitemaps help, but google or most search engines are very slow at slurping content, so if you have this traffic - you get a little ranking boost. Especially if ForumPromotion has or had a high ranking.

So, pucker up, buttercup.

The redirect has been in effect for a week, but it was today that I noticed that the traffic shot up for me...

meetdilip

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
Need not be bots all the time. A forum like FP could easily get 300 guests online anytime. Mainly because it is old and big. Google likes such websites.

Murder he Wrote

Used to run this joint
Sep 18, 2015
UK
FP$
Well, I'm trying not to be cynical - but if the traffic is sort of fake - then how is it worth it to buy advertising on FP? Are the stats claimed in the ad section based on truth?
Brother. When you represent the forum's staff, it doesn't look good to post things like this.

I'm sure there's some kind of private staff forum where this kind of feedback would be more suited.

Jordan

█🍁█ Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$
FYI crawlers and bots don’t count towards the guest count.

This shows everyone online and what page their are on etc. You can select the “guests” tab and the “robots” tab too.

Marc

Paragon
Dec 15, 2009
Forum Promotion
www.crazyim.com
FP$
This shows everyone online and what page their are on etc. You can select the “guests” tab and the “robots” tab too.
That's true for search engines we know about, but 303 guests certainly isn't legit people hitting this site from a Google search or a social media link.

Total: 307 (members: 4, guests: 303)

Someone can hit your site with hundreds of bots using a China or Russia IP and it'll be shown as guests. You can run a tool to scan a site and you'll see the visitor is not listed as a robot on an xenForo forum. Heck, post a link to twitter and you'll see a bunch of guests on your who is online list. Investigate their IP and you'll know they're not legit humans using a computer.

• Wow
Reactions: Lämmchen

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
That's true for search engines we know about, but 303 guests certainly isn't legit people hitting this site from a Google search or a social media link.

Total: 307 (members: 4, guests: 303)

Someone can hit your site with hundreds of bots using a China or Russia IP and it'll be shown as guests. You can run a tool to scan a site and you'll see the visitor is not listed as a robot on an xenForo forum. Heck, post a link to twitter and you'll see a bunch of guests on your who is online list. Investigate their IP and you'll know they're not legit humans using a computer.
There's nothing you can do about it. Everyone who runs a xenForo board is getting these traffic spikes. These bots are trying to get into your board and trying to spam. The issue becomes then, what else are they doing on your board? Are they clicking your board's ads? That could cause your adsense account to be limited (which another user warned us about), but google should have systems in place to combat these invalid clicks or invalid traffic especially if they have a section in Russia/China/whatever. I don't need these invalid traffic. And they don't show up in your Google Analytics anymore, which is a good thing, which would separate your negative traffic from your real ones. I was hit with limited ads on the 27th of December, just days after Christmas. Has nothing to do with Forum Promotion because CODForums was not on the redirect list, it was Destroy Repeat.

I don't need to click on my own ads, I don't need to ask my family to do so, and all these accusations that Google has on me is bullshit. Honestly.

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
If they all coming from the same location that blocks that location. The End. :p

I had so much fake traffic from China and had to block it as it was just making my place slow.
That's easier said than done. Doing that will up the CPU of your server, F.Y.I. cPanel has it in the core now, but I'm afraid to use it because it may suck resources.