Who here has built a PC?

Discussion in 'Computers & The Internet' started by Psychogenic, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Psychogenic

Psychogenic New Arrival

+2
    I built my very first PC about a year ago, maybe?

Though I had work, it took me like half a day to build, and the funny thing is I built it for gaming, and I barely game anymore lol.

Anyhow, here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor, 3100 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3
    Radeon RX 560 Series
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8 GB DDR4 RAM
    1 TB HDD
    CORSAIR VS Series VS500 Power Supply

ACER GN246HL 24" LED 144 Hz 1ms Monitor
    CORSAIR K95 Keyboard
    RAZER Naga Chroma Multi-color MMO Gaming Mouse
    Phanteks Eclipse P400 Series Case

What're yours?

2. Bry89

Bry89 Resident

+71
    I haven't, but my father did as part of his work and a friend of mine did that too. Would be interesting but not really my sort of thing.

3. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+1,751
    This has been mention and posted before. And the answer is yes :) I build my own first desktop 6 years ago and still today I have got it. Meaning that I can not afford to have new parts or another new build.

Here is the tech, Over the years all I did was added 500GB SSD another 1TB and a new power slab. And back then it would cost allot not like now. Yet still can run just about anything on high, other then pubG as my GPU Vram is max to 2GB and that most cards now are more then 2GB
    Code:
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
    PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master hyper 212
    SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb
    HDD: WD HDD 2x 1 TB + WD Blue 2 TB
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3930K
    GPU: Asus 680 gtx directcu ii
    Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Deluxe
    RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengeance
    Router/Modem: Asus RT-AC5300

This was given to me over an year ago and it never get used. It's just sitting on the floor being updated. I was selling it but no one was interested... Ripppp
    Code:
    Asus p7p55 lx
    intel Core i5 650 @3.20GHz (2 cores)
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 II case
    4GB ram (memory)
    Windows 10 Home 32bit
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1GB memory
    500GB HDD
    coolermaster GX 550W
    LiteOn DVD player/Burner

Yet maybe I might sell this, Or get an game capture card that can encode and install it into this old desktop. Also anyone want to donate so I can get an 1080TI :p

4. edenwax

edenwax Reputable

+32
    Copied from the other thread:
    Code:
    NAME:         Karen from Finance v2
    PROCESSOR:    Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0ghz
    COOLER:       NZXT Kracken X62 rev2 AIO
    MOTHERBOARD:  ASUS Maximus X Hero (Z370/LGA1151)
    MEMORY:       32gb(4x8) Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000mhz
    STORAGE:      500gb Samsung 960 EVO m.2 SSD
                  2tb WD Black 7200rpm HDD
                  2tb Seagate Barricuda 7200rpm HDD
    PSU:          EVGA G2 750 watt
    GPU:          ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080Ti
    CASE:         Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout Edition

5. Empire

+1,751
    I hate it when people post there specs with 1080Tis and food top tech.

6. danthex

danthex GamingBoards.net King

+30
    I've built PC's in the past and for clients, currently I just use my one laptop. Asus ROG 752VL w/ NVIDIA GTX 965M, i7-6700, 16GB ram.

7. 2legit

2legit New Arrival

+2
    Once I started building them I never bought another one from a company again. Ever. Being able to specify your own parts is the only way to go in my opinion. Sure you don't get the warranty on the whole machine but chances are that something will be wrong from the start and you just return the component if that is the issue.

8. Carlos X

Carlos X Up-and-Coming Sensation

+59
    I've built my own computer before, but that's about it. I worked with my uncle on it, and my family friend on it. I did my own thing on it, too... It was fun. :)

9. Grimalkin

Grimalkin Madly Diligent Review Team

+630
    The desktop here at my house is one that my husband built himself. I don't use it a lot because I'm normally using my laptop.

10. fantanoice

fantanoice Madly Diligent

+33
    I haven't but I'm looking to upgrade my current rig. Been working out parts but dang there's so much to choose from.

So far I'm looking at:

ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Turbo Edition 11GB
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38311/asus-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-turbo-edition-11gb
    $1099

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire RGB Fan
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/38090/amd-ryzen-7-1700-processor-with-wraith-spire-rgb-fan
    $309

ASUS ROG Strix B350-F Motherboard
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39457/asus-rog-strix-b350-f-motherboard
    $159

Still working out RAM, storage, cooling, power, etc. I'm hoping everything fits in the case I already have or I'll have to get a new one of those as well. Hoping to keep it under $2k but who knows.

11. Empire

+1,751
    @fantanoice Ryzen has been discontinued. And for the 1080TI still not cheap and you can get something little cheaper you know. I would go on this site also https://www.centrecom.com.au/ they do good deals and whatnot

12. fantanoice

+33
    Yeah I see that now. It was up last week. Get the 2nd gen ayy. Or find somewhere else selling.

Lol obviously 1080TI isn't cheap. I'm aware of the lower end cards.

I'll be shopping around for cheapest and know of a few sellers. PCG is nice for planning.

13. edenwax

edenwax Reputable

+32
    Good parts, but I'd hold off a bit on the GPU. Nvidia seems to be teasing something coming, so maybe we'll see GTX11/GTX20 series cards announced soon. Also be aware that this particular GPU is known for coil whine. (can confirm :( )

I can also vouch for that motherboard and CPU combo - I built a rig for a friend with those exact parts. The motherboard is also a decent board for overclocking too. But that being said I'd go with the 2nd gen equivalents if you can budget it.

Also with Ryzen and RAM, make sure you're checking the motherboards QVL list to make sure they're compatible and/or get RAM using Samsung B-Die / CAS 14 stuff. Cheaper CAS 15/16/Micron/SK Hynix-based RAM is tempting, but Ryzen reaaaally loves that fast RAM.

This would be a decent build (sans the case):
    https://pcpartpicker.com/user/edenwax/saved/shGq4D

14. fantanoice

+33
    I wasn't aware of the coil whine issue. That's a huge bummer. Hopefully I don't get one of the duds. Could always exchange it if that happens.

I am not familiar with this jargon

Looking at the build you picked out the same Samsung SSD I did. I've got a 2T HDD from my old build that I intend to salvage. What would you suggest for cooling? I will probably just go fans rather than water cooling for price.

15. edenwax

edenwax Reputable

+32
    GPU: You should be able to. Though, mines pretty quiet since I put it into a Define R6. A case with good sound proofing should eliminate any whine you hear.

RAM: Oh! I'll explain a bit: Your motherboard vender (in this case ASUS) will have a list of supported RAM modules on their website. Going from that, I would suggest RAM that uses a CAS latency of 14 at 3200mhz. This info is usually listed in the specs of the RAM from wherever you choose to buy it. Its not required, but Ryzen CPUs really benefit from this type of RAM, and CAS 14/3200mhz is the sweet spot.

COOLING: If you don't plan on overclocking, the stock cooler on Ryzen CPUs does a really good job. If you are, I'm a big fan of the Cryorig H7 and Noctua NH-D15 (specifically the NH-D15 SE-AM4 which comes with the AM4 bracket).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Empire

+1,751
    You can always get an 1060 or 1050TI LIttle cheaper option that will still do the job. I always wanted to get an 1080TI and since I can not afford it I'm still running an 680. even with an 680 I can stream and play games on high. Just that I'm limited to the Vram.

17. fantanoice

+33
    @Empire As I said, I'm aware of the lower-end cards but I feel the higher one will be better in the long run. I think it is worth the investment given I want to do gamedev work as well. I don't think I'd go lower than 1070 given I had problems running Unreal on the Razer Blade which had a 1060 in it.

@edenwax Yeah I'm probably not going to overclock but want the option to be there. I may skip on the extra cooling in that case and only bother getting one if I decide to overclock.

18. Empire

+1,751
    Understandable, But consider what your budget is! if you want to go full to the max then YEAHHHHHHHHHHH

19. Jason76

Jason76 Packager Package Team

+276
    This might be off-topic, but if someone had that talent, then the job market for computer fixers is large in many places - including my area, East Tennessee (USA). Anyway, I can't do it, or I would. I mean, it's an unchallenged niche.

Also, all you'd need is some certificate probably - one that isn't too hard to get.

20. fantanoice

+33
    There are some computer shops around here with pre-built ones. There are also a number of buy/sell groups on Facebook that have parts and fully built ones. But yeah, they're not especially flashy or well known.