Women in sport

Ste

Madly Diligent
I noticed that the English women cricket team won the cricket world cup the other day and it got me thinking. I didn't notice that they had won it until I saw a small article on the internet about it. Had this had been the male cricket world cup who had won it would have been all over the back pages.

Do you think that females will ever match men when it comes to sport?

Callum93

Madly Diligent
Mar 16, 2008
FP$
No replies in 3 days :neutral:

I don't think most female sport is considered as important as male sport, don't really consider it sexism though because male sport is generally more popular then female sport.

Ste

Madly Diligent
Yeah but isn't it not sexist to say female sports isn't important as male sports? I am no fan of female sports (I don't watch any) but maybe female sport would be more popular if it got as much publicity and money as male sports does?

Callum93

Madly Diligent
Mar 16, 2008
FP$
Efc2009 said:
Yeah but isn't it not sexist to say female sports isn't important as male sports? I am no fan of female sports (I don't watch any) but maybe female sport would be more popular if it got as much publicity and money as male sports does?
Yes but it doesn't, henceforth the reason men's sport is more popular. I don' t think they are less important, just not as popular.

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
Sep 5, 2008
SW Florida
FP$
Publicity comes from interest and the interest in women's sports just isn't at the level of men's sports hence the lack of publicity. Simply putting them as equals without reason simply to attempt to sound non bias is silly. If they want to get more publicity then they need to show more interest in the sport to justify it which they haven't. I think the lack of publicity comes from women just not being all that interested in the sport like men are and has nothing to do with bias or anything of the sort.

I agree with Bluezone. It's not just publicity. It's culture. Men are physically bigger, stronger, and faster than women, so naturally their sports are going to be more exciting. A good majority of sports fans are also men.

It's hard to pay female athletes the same amount of money if they don't sell tickets and bring TV viewers like male athletes. I understand the whole gender gap argument for other jobs (like in medical jobs, business, etc.) though.

Women aren't the same as men... so why does everyone have to act like they are?

The Governor

Seasoned Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
US
ararielfett.webs.com
FP$
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is the actual appeal of women in certain sports uniforms. Take women's tennis. Short skirt, and usually a top that unintentionally (or intentionally?) brings focus on the women's breasts. Does it suck that in some of these sports women have the more revealing and/or sexual uniforms? Yes, but that is how this world is. The majority of men who watch female sports do it because they enjoy seeing the women themselves, and don't care for the actual game.