Word count equals high quality?

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
Do you think that the quality of a post depends on word count? In other words, are very wordy posts more valuable on your site? I don't mean versus 5 word replies...what if it was a 2 sentence reply versus 2 paragraphs. Is one really worth more to you?

22_22

Madly Diligent
Package Team
Jun 14, 2009
Sweden
FP$
This is an interesting topic, thank you for raising it @Lämmchen
Personally I feel that quality over quantity is important. That being said when a post is too 'short' it is not good for me. It is difficult to really make a meaningful comment if you are too blunt and you can tell little thought has been put into it. It is good to be concise at times, but I think one should be looking at a minimum of two sentences for a fair post. :)

Cameron.

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
It really varies. I'd also preach the importance of quality over quantity, but sometimes that depends on the context, and what the particular subject is. Especially with forums, plenty of discussion topics really don't need an in depth response. At the same time, sometimes a lengthy post is a great way to show everyone that this particular subject is very important to you. Or sometimes it's just someone throwing a lot of fluff into a post, as if they are writing an essay with a minimum word count requirement.

Matthew

Everyone knows a Matthew
Jun 28, 2010
Under a bridge
FP$
It really varies. I'd also preach the importance of quality over quantity, but sometimes that depends on the context, and what the particular subject is. Especially with forums, plenty of discussion topics really don't need an in depth response. At the same time, sometimes a lengthy post is a great way to show everyone that this particular subject is very important to you. Or sometimes it's just someone throwing a lot of fluff into a post, as if they are writing an essay with a minimum word count requirement.
Tend to agree with Taylor Swift Fan Number 1 here. It varies based on the context. I would value posts that offer potential for a continuation of discussion as quality. This is why you see professors requiring more than just "I agree" posts in discussion boards. I can state that I agree in about 100 different ways to fill a post length requirement. Doesn't make the post quality.

Reactions: Lämmchen

Cameron.

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
Tend to agree with Taylor Swift Fan Number 1 here. It varies based on the context. I would value posts that offer potential for a continuation of discussion as quality. This is why you see professors requiring more than just "I agree" posts in discussion boards. I can state that I agree in about 100 different ways to fill a post length requirement. Doesn't make the post quality.
I agree.

My professor absolutely loved my discussion board responses.

"That's some excellent points you've made, Jim. I really like that you listed a few key differences between the protagonist and the antagonist. You also mentioned one difference that I didn't personally notice. I greatly appreciate you pointing that one out."

Reactions: Matthew

Matthew

Everyone knows a Matthew
Jun 28, 2010
Under a bridge
FP$
I agree.

My professor absolutely loved my discussion board responses.

"That's some excellent points you've made, Jim. I really like that you listed a few key differences between the protagonist and the antagonist. You also mentioned one difference that I didn't personally notice. I greatly appreciate you pointing that one out."
My favorite method would be to highlight an concept or two from a peer's post than ask a question regarding something related. Did I expect anyone to reply? No, but my professors freaking loved thought provoking questions.

Key is to "Why?" to it as well. Never leave your audience with a yes/no question.

Edit: Also, see how Cameron replied and prompted me to continue the discussion at hand. Great working example of the concept we are referring too lmao

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
My favorite method would be to highlight an concept or two from a peer's post than ask a question regarding something related. Did I expect anyone to reply? No, but my professors freaking loved thought provoking questions.

Key is to "Why?" to it as well. Never leave your audience with a yes/no question.

Edit: Also, see how Cameron replied and prompted me to continue the discussion at hand. Great working example of the concept we are referring too lmao
YES ask questions! I've been trying to train my long time members on this for 5 years now at CH. If you ask questions, it gives someone a chance to reply and the conversation continues. If you agree with what they say it stops there most of the time.

Matthew

Everyone knows a Matthew
Jun 28, 2010
Under a bridge
FP$
YES ask questions! I've been trying to train my long time members on this for 5 years now at CH. If you ask questions, it gives someone a chance to reply and the conversation continues. If you agree with what they say it stops there most of the time.
What has been the result on CH?

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
What has been the result on CH?
You can't teach old dogs new tricks? :( Most of them don't ask questions but there are some that do when they're curious about something. I think it's hard work to get into the mindset of not merely giving your opinion on a message board.

Asking questions is a big key in making people feel as if someone validates what they say, whether it's in a negative or positive way. Newbies feel noticed and are inclined to return to answer. Keeping people engaged in conversation is necessary or you just have a series of interviews.

Edited to add I forgot to ask you something in return ;) boo

How long did it take you to get into the habit of asking questions? Or does it come naturally?

Lord Saru

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Feb 21, 2010
From the blue
FP$
You can't teach old dogs new tricks? :( Most of them don't ask questions but there are some that do when they're curious about something. I think it's hard work to get into the mindset of not merely giving your opinion on a message board.

Asking questions is a big key in making people feel as if someone validates what they say, whether it's in a negative or positive way. Newbies feel noticed and are inclined to return to answer. Keeping people engaged in conversation is necessary or you just have a series of interviews.

How long did it take you to get into the habit of asking questions? Or does it come naturally?
That definitely is a neat observation. I havent yet thought about it in such a way.

Being a PT member, I think I ask enough questions.

Matthew

Everyone knows a Matthew
Jun 28, 2010
Under a bridge
FP$

Yea. I figured that would be about how it goes. Conversations can easily become very one sided.
As for me, I quite enjoy asking questions so it came naturally. I was that kid who always needed a rationale especially if I found fault in your logic. I’d also make suggestions and add follow up questions to the rationale. In case you’re wondering, my mother got gray hair early.

how about you? Where did you pick up the practice?

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
Yea. I figured that would be about how it goes. Conversations can easily become very one sided.
As for me, I quite enjoy asking questions so it came naturally. I was that kid who always needed a rationale especially if I found fault in your logic. I’d also make suggestions and add follow up questions to the rationale. In case you’re wondering, my mother got gray hair early.

how about you? Where did you pick up the practice?
When I was in my 20s I was writing to a friend who blurted out that I was horrible at conversation because I only answered his questions and never asked any in return. My ego was wounded but it made me realize he was right when he said he felt like he was always interviewing me.

Were you the "why" kid growing up where everything was Why? Why? Why? :D

Matthew

Everyone knows a Matthew
Jun 28, 2010
Under a bridge
FP$
When I was in my 20s I was writing to a friend who blurted out that I was horrible at conversation because I only answered his questions and never asked any in return. My ego was wounded but it made me realize he was right when he said he felt like he was always interviewing me.

Were you the "why" kid growing up where everything was Why? Why? Why? :D
Still am to be honest lol.

• Haha

ZandraJoi

Up-and-Coming Sensation
I don’t go by word count. I rather have someone be open & honest, to the point in a few short words than have fillers.
This is also relative. What one deems a good comment, another may think it’s rushed. Depending on the topic & how I “feel” the room, I may post something short or I may expand.
I feel quality over quantity is important also in membership. Some forums have hundreds of members but there’s no intimacy.
I also am the type who likes to ask questions. I’ve asked a few in here already lol I like knowing the Whys. I try to have discussions in my forum open-ended so people feel they can respond.

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
I don’t go by word count. I rather have someone be open & honest, to the point in a few short words than have fillers.
This is also relative. What one deems a good comment, another may think it’s rushed. Depending on the topic & how I “feel” the room, I may post something short or I may expand.
I feel quality over quantity is important also in membership. Some forums have hundreds of members but there’s no intimacy.
I also am the type who likes to ask questions. I’ve asked a few in here already lol I like knowing the Whys. I try to have discussions in my forum open-ended so people feel they can respond.
I hear ya on the lack of intimacy on some forums. I've seen it on my own forum at times where people join and want to have validation on things and my members ignore them and their need for fellowship. Then those newbies leave and I'm left shaking my head at how distant people can be and then wonder why no one sticks around.

Reactions: ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Up-and-Coming Sensation
I hear ya on the lack of intimacy on some forums. I've seen it on my own forum at times where people join and want to have validation on things and my members ignore them and their need for fellowship. Then those newbies leave and I'm left shaking my head at how distant people can be and then wonder why no one sticks around.
I don’t have many members on my forum yet so if there is a topic opened by a member, I try to ask them questions, & hope others may pipe in as well. I found people tend to form cliques in forums. Even if they don’t mean to. They stick w/ the same people. It’s definitely hard being that new person. That’s why I like to welcome new members on my forum & others I’m on. At least it lets them know they are a person & not just a number.