• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are. You will always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account by going to your account settings > connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected, you will automatically join our server (if you have already joined, you will be automatically roled). You will automatically be given the role of "Approved Users." And whenever a thread/post is created, a message will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

Word of Mouth

Alexander

Assistant TL
Package Team
Nov 7, 2014
Forum Promotion
FP$
Has anyone ever tried advertising their online community through Word of Mouth to friends, family or colleagues? Did it work well and is this an effective form of advertising? Let us know!

Advertise Here

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
StarScape Clan Citadel
FP$
Friends and family is what I use social media for. I frankly wouldn’t want my friends and family on any forums I would run. The internet is the escape and a chance to meet new people. A chance to break outside of your IRL comfort zone and network with new individuals. Not to mention, I personally wouldn’t want to cross the boundary of having my online presence mix with my IRL presence. My friends are bigger assholes than I am.

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
Has anyone ever tried advertising their online community through Word of Mouth to friends, family or colleagues? Did it work well and is this an effective form of advertising? Let us know!

My friends and family have not been very helpful in joining my site and posting. When CH first opened a few of them joined but no one ever has posted. I know now to not expect anything from them and even in the Site Battle Madness no one helped me :( The only word of mouth I could rely on was from members of other Christian forums that I encounter and that I'm "friends" with on Facebook. They have helped me out with my forum more than the people who are closest to me.

Lord Saru

Package Team Leader
Package Team
Feb 21, 2010
From the blue
FP$
Most of my friends havent yet discovered the world of forums. XD

Reactions: ZandraJoi

Cam!

Administrator
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I used to spend a lot of my free time at school trying to get my friends to join my sports forum. That was back in middle school, and I think I was like twelve years old. It seemed to be effective. Actually had a couple of Moderators on my forum way back then that were people that I went to school with.

In general, I'd say the niche of your forum depends on whether word of mouth is an effective form of advertising. For example, I own a wrestling forum, and I work with someone who I've seen posting on Facebook about the WWE. In that scenario, it makes sense to mention that I own a wrestling forum. It's something that he would be interested in as well. On the other hand, if you're just going to random friends/family/coworkers and asking them to take pity on you and help out on your forum, I don't feel like that will go over well.

ARx182

Paragon
Jan 26, 2014
United Kingdom
FP$
I told one of my friends about a forum I ran a few years ago and he was one of the most active members on the forum, so I suppose it did help. But generally speaking, I don’t go around spreading the word about my sites to people I know irl.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Word of mouth is the best way to advertise in my opinion. My site Code Forum for example was about 90% word of mouth and we've grown so much. I did it through Discord, went on servers and talked to people and got them to join.

Dotgician

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 9, 2020
FP$
Currently working on it with Bizdustry and as soon as some business conventions come around, will be advertising there as well.

lucycarter

Reputable
Jun 17, 2019
New York City
blog.papachina.com
FP$
No, i would prefer to keep it private. Word of mouth is indeed a popular and best method for advertising.
I use word of mouth for promoting my brand name among people rather but involving family member is not a good idea. Using social media may help. Also, promotional giveaway can b e helpful in this regard.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Yes! But mostly on Discord! Code Forum grew really fast with this method.

TopSilver

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2019
www.mindpiff.com
FP$
Word of mouth is the best way to get a site active and I'm hoping that's what happens with my site Mind Piff. I've been really leaning on the fact that word of mouth will help us do well. That's how we can get going fast.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Word of mouth is good but takes time. The Hard part more than anything that I get to say the name everywhere that I see fit, like Streaming to YouTube to chatting in discord and yet you think to yourself that they are your online or real mates and they haven't even joined.

It works but not with your mates, they are like Cool and okay and end of talk.

Sariana23

New Arrival
Jan 21, 2021
Venezuela
FP$
I believe that word of mouth is one of the most effective ways to post offline. If your community is attractive, the same people are in charge of advertising on job sites and universities through comments (word of mouth), I have personally seen the subtractions.