Feedback XenForo 2.1 Add-on Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Matters' started by Cameron Taylor, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Cameron Taylor

Cameron Taylor Owner Administrator Owner

+892
    As I've mentioned a few times, our conversion to XenForo 2.1 is right around the corner. I figured it would be good to create a topic where members of our community could recommend add-ons that they would like to see on FP, or just add-ons that they know would be beneficial to our community.

Seriously guys, don't be afraid to just take a look around the web and see if there is any add-on in particular that you'd like to see on FP.

Here are some good places to look:
    Just make sure you're looking to at XenForo 2 add-ons.

Thanks guys!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,202
    I say have the main plugins that FP users right now. Or if it's not support for 2.1 then find something or get it made/updated to support for 2.1. As long as the major things are moved over like FP$ and badges/ranks and whatnot.

I think we should not have to many, otherwise it gets overpowered. And also to mention that might be idea to upgrade to 2.1 and then see from there to see what's working and what's not and then if to see is an good idea to add more plugins.

3. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    Paid or non-paid?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cameron Taylor

Cameron Taylor Owner Administrator Owner

+892
    Unfortunately, the majority of the add-ons that FP had weren't upgraded to XF2. We had to seek out alternatives.

Both of course. 99% of add-ons are paid when it comes to XenForo nowadays. :p

5. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,202
    Rip, even then it can be made up

6. Champion

Champion Paragon

+399
    Why Don't you guys move to IPB/MyBB/WolfLab?

7. John

John Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+877
    I would personally love to see FP on MyBB. Nothing would be better than MyBB's uncrackable ACP against FP's banned memberbase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Champion

Champion Paragon

+399
    Idk if you meant it as a sarcasm or seriously lol?

9. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    MyBB's ACP is an odd-ball.

It largely relies on it's login page for security and otherwise doesn't particularly care about it, although they do fix it when people push patches.

There have been several RCEs in there, a nasty one to do with XML where someone uploaded a virus and the script which checks for updates in all installs within a certain time window got attacked, and quite a few XSS vulnerabilities found by Lunorian (if I recall).

MyBB is probably more secure than XenForo though which hasn't received any real scrutiny from the open source community.

If I recall, one of Carlos' members casually found a XSS exploit in 2.0 just by using the software. While vulnerabilities do turn up from time to time, it shouldn't be so common that this happens by accident on a random site, especially not in 2019 in a $17 million dollar product.

It would imply that it didn't have any sort of penetration testing before being shipped.

The plugins at MyBB do tend to be a horror-fest though, casually flicking through random plugins in the mods site exposes dozens of zero days which can be used to dump someone's database.

This is in large part because MyBB doesn't use a query builder and thus isn't secure by default but instead requires developers to carefully go over every possible input / query. It remains to be seen how many major projects are truly secure though.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019 at 6:39 AM