Xenforo 2 or IPS 4.2 (4.3 when released)

Discussion in 'Software & Hosting Discussions' started by Smokey, Jan 5, 2018.

Xenforo 2.0 or IPS 4.2?

1. Xenforo 2

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. IPS 4.2

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Other (Specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Smokey

Smokey Paragon

+59
    So i'm in a bit of a pickle here. I am starting up my new forums, I currently have them on ZetaBoards, however, with the practices over there with Tapatalk kinda turns me away from them and i'm looking to go for a paid solution......

I have a Xenforo license and an IPS license. I'm not sure what to use.......Which would be a good solution for a general community?

IPS I have the following add-ons: Board, Gallery, Blog, Pages.
    XF2: I have 2 licenses, 1 standalone forum and one with forum, resource manager & media gallery.

Which do you feel offers more bang for your buck?

Which software does everyone prefer for a community?

List pro's and con's of both.

2. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+1,697
    IPS is more costly and expecting to pay out and good amount! like almost $1000 in over 2 years of me running my IPS forum.

That being said once you have all paid plugins then after 2 years you start paying allot less until IPS release an new forum like 4.3 :p But end of all you do get what you pay for ;) support, unless updates, allot of plugins and you can request if there isn't an plugin.

Then the hard part :( Xenforo is also very good. They are cheaper then IPS, but they do offer better themes or at least the way it's been design and how the profile looks, I mean FP is running off of that. IPS does offer very good themes , third party themes only like my website but they are not free. most IPS themes aren't free

3. Smokey

Smokey Paragon

+59
    Yeah that's my issue. I'll probably end up going the XF2 route I think......I wanted to just stick with ZetaBoards but the way Tapatalk is looking, it doesn't look like ZB will be around for much longer. :(

So i think self-hosted is my best bet anyway, I'll probably end up going the XF2 route.....my lady/co-admin prefers XF anyway so there's also that. :)

4. Champion

Champion Paragon

+334
    Go with Xenforo lot of community uses it as its more cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Löis

Löis Reputable

+57
    I have always preferred Xenforo to IPS so XF 2.0 gets my vote :p

6. Empire

+1,697
    XF2 is responsiveness, so tapatalk isn't needed. And self-hosted is the way to go as you have more power and once you brought the forum pack you have it forever other then the renew fee

7. Cessepedes17

Cessepedes17 Paragon

+70
    i have XF2 and i absolutely love it. i use hosting with HostGator.

8. Smokey

Smokey Paragon

+59
    Not a fan of hostgator :p had bad experience with them years ago. :) I'm on Hawkhost, it's been fairly well so far :)

Went with XF2, thanks guys! :D

New Nucleus is now live! Just need a new theme (coming soon) and some other graphics which we're working on behind the scenes at the moment. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Empire

+1,697
    there on my list

• Like Like x 1
  10. Smokey

Smokey Paragon

+59
    They are pretty decent. I've noticed some slow down today but i'm on their NYC server as I live in NY and the weather here hasn't been too great so I'm guessing that could be it, but it's not terribly a bad experience, it's definitely usable and XF2 runs well with no real issues on their shared hosting. :)

11. Jason76

Jason76 Packager Package Team

+252
    XF 2, from what I've seen on the SWC forum, has a problem with email - in some cases. Note, when SWC switched to another host and the email format was turned off of SMTP, then there were no errors (Something that recently happened.).

12. KnownSyntax

KnownSyntax Up-and-Coming Sensation

+18
    XenForo is nice if you want a simple community, but IPB has a lot more to offer (with the additional price). The only thing different is just the community, support level, and the quality of the product you end up with (interfaces, what has different features, etc.). Overall both have paid themes and very few "free" based themes/styles, and most plugins will cost money.

My vote, IPB hands down.

13. Jason76

Jason76 Packager Package Team

+252
    XF 2 has a free ad mod, though.