Xenforo

Talk Mental Health

CyberFreak

Legendary Typer
Apr 7, 2007
UK
FP$
It looks very impressive... I personally wouldn't buy a license though until it is a bit more established. It is still quite new.

Toups

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Nov 29, 2009
www.ntoupin.net
FP$
dballerp said:
I don't even understand what their claim is about. What, some rookie forum will steal some of their customers and they're just mad>
No,
The founder(s) of Xenforo are former Vbulletin employees.
Vbulletin is claiming that they used their intellectual knowledge they gained from Vbulletin and ideas from vbulletin in order to make Xenforo.

Basically since they didn't start from scratch (in idea form) on forum software (they used their knowledge and background of vbulletin to do it) vbulletin says that Xenforo unfairly has an advantage in the forum business and also violated contracts signed with vbulletin.

Would be like someone working at microsoft for years, leaving and making their own OS using their background and info learned/gained working at microsoft to make that OS. They would have an unfair advantage over someone that had not worked at microsoft.

Toups

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Nov 29, 2009
www.ntoupin.net
FP$
sng said:
Yea, but did they really use any codes from Vbulletin? If they did then VB have all the rights to sue them, but if they wrote it from scratch they should be able to market Xenforo.
Not sure, only they might know the answer to that..
Not necessarily.. if the information they used to code some things for Xenforo came based off of Vbulletin coding that they did for Vbulletin ... or even the idea that they used for coding something in Xenforo came from what they learned at Vbulletin .. that violates their contract w/ Vbulletin.

Impulse

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jan 22, 2010
FP$
I was going to purchase a license, but never did, didn't want to spend $100 and not really use the software.

I'll wait till it's more established or until the whole dispute with vBulletin is over.

el canadiano

Paragon
Mar 15, 2008
Redmond, WA
FP$
Why would they even need vBulletin code, as I have said before.

When a major new version comes out (save vBulletin 4 and SMF), the code is usually rewritten. phpBB 3 and IPB 3 were examples of this, as they did not use any code from version 2 (likewise, MyBB 2.0 will not use MyBB 1.x code).

blog.php?mode=view&b=18

Kier stated it himself on the interview with Jonathan.

Toups

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Nov 29, 2009
www.ntoupin.net
FP$
el canadiano said:
Why would they even need vBulletin code, as I have said before.

When a major new version comes out (save vBulletin 4 and SMF), the code is usually rewritten. phpBB 3 and IPB 3 were examples of this, as they did not use any code from version 2 (likewise, MyBB 2.0 will not use MyBB 1.x code).

blog.php?mode=view&b=18

Kier stated it himself on the interview with Jonathan.
Vbulletin isn't stating that they used actual vbulletin code, just that they used IDEAS from vbulletin to make their code and or skills they learned from vbulletin to make their code.

Toups

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Nov 29, 2009
www.ntoupin.net
FP$
Vbulletin is claiming that the ideas were only obtained because they worked for Vbulletin and the ideas came from being experienced with vbulletin; basically if they didn't work at Vbulletin.. Vbulletin says they wouldn't have thought of the ideas or at least wouldn't have thought of the ideas as easily which gives them an "unfair" advantage over other companies.

dballerp

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Oct 19, 2010
FP$
Which doesn't make one difference for their company.

It's like saying you work in a restaurant for a long time and you get an idea to open your own restaurant. You get some ideas from where you work, but it's basically your own thing. This is the same situation, the claim is a joke.

vBulletin really needs to step up their game instead of suing small companies that might steal some customers. I'm glad I never purchased a license

Toups

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Nov 29, 2009
www.ntoupin.net
FP$
Yes and no, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Let's give an example. If you worked at a company that was researching new leads in medicine. Let's say you and the company worked on a project researching for 5 years until something was figured out and created that was great, using others work not only your own to do so.

Then you left the company and made your own company researching the same thing. You would be far more advanced on the subject then anyone else because you had previously spent 5 years researching it already so you would be much farther along by using your experience with the original company.

Basically you create a new company and get to skip the time of having to figure things out because you had already done that or learned it from others' work at your original company.

Legal? Depends
Ethical? To some

If you spent years figuring something out with someone, they left you and used their experience/knowledge gained from you to finish or make the same "genre" of "item" would that be fair to you or others?

dballerp

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Oct 19, 2010
FP$
I understand your point. However, there are still flaws with it.

Your talking about researching something in medicine. First, this is just a forum hosting software. It's not specific like these medicine researching facilities.

Next, I could probably get ideas for a forum host by looking at several of forums made under it. I never worked there, but I can see the general design and concept. Working there, I would understand if they copied big chunks of the code, but as far as I can tell, they never have. So still, not a good claim at all.

And finally, we've never even seen how good xenoforo is going to be. If they sold only 20 licenses (overall) then vBulletin would have never come up with this claim in the first place.

I still stand my opinion that they're scared of losing customers and instead of making their services better, weed out the small ones which, lets face it, we don't know how well it will do

Justin M

Paragon
Sep 17, 2009
FP$
dballerp said:
I understand your point. However, there are still flaws with it.

Your talking about researching something in medicine. First, this is just a forum hosting software. It's not specific like these medicine researching facilities.

Next, I could probably get ideas for a forum host by looking at several of forums made under it. I never worked there, but I can see the general design and concept. Working there, I would understand if they copied big chunks of the code, but as far as I can tell, they never have. So still, not a good claim at all.

And finally, we've never even seen how good xenoforo is going to be. If they sold only 20 licenses (overall) then vBulletin would have never come up with this claim in the first place.

I still stand my opinion that they're scared of losing customers and instead of making their services better, weed out the small ones which, lets face it, we don't know how well it will do

They might be two entirely different fields but the principles are the same. Secondly, we have no way of knowing if Xenforo copied any code or not, but given the fact the people who started it have an extensive background working for VB it's likely they heavily borrowed some concepts. Intellectual property and design patents are two things that VB can sue on the basis of, and have a strong chance of winning.

Medora

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Apr 14, 2007
California
theinfinityprogram.com
FP$

Fergal

Madly Diligent
Sep 28, 2009
Co Louth, Ireland
forumcoin.com
FP$
Toups said:
Yes and no, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Let's give an example. If you worked at a company that was researching new leads in medicine. Let's say you and the company worked on a project researching for 5 years until something was figured out and created that was great, using others work not only your own to do so.

Then you left the company and made your own company researching the same thing. You would be far more advanced on the subject then anyone else because you had previously spent 5 years researching it already so you would be much farther along by using your experience with the original company.

Basically you create a new company and get to skip the time of having to figure things out because you had already done that or learned it from others' work at your original company.

Legal? Depends
Ethical? To some

If you spent years figuring something out with someone, they left you and used their experience/knowledge gained from you to finish or make the same "genre" of "item" would that be fair to you or others?

That's an interesting point of view. However, the medical company would have patents protecting the intellectual property in their product and it is those patents that would stop someone from using that knowledge to create and sell a competing product. Your argument is like saying that someone who worked in a bar for five years, would be prohibited from opening his own bar should he decide to leave his job, because of what he learned while employed in that job.

Or to make it even broader, if someone worked as a manager in a business, would the fact that she learnt her management skills there, prohibit her from setting up her own business when she leaves?

When you write code for a company, the company may own that code. But how can they own the skills you have learnt while working for them?

My experience of legal disputes between companies, tells me that it is the side with the best legal team and the deepest pockets that wins. They can keep making claims on various legal points, until the other side cave in because they can't afford to pay their legal fees any more.