Zifboards & Jcink

Discussion in 'Software & Hosting Discussions' started by Mushmellow, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mushmellow

Mushmellow Resident

+85
    If I'm right, they're using an old IPB version right? If so, how do they manage to give forum admins a license to use it? Don't they have to pay for an ipb license? Also, is it possible to download a copy of that ipb version for free? If so, where can I download it?

2. The Monster In You

The Monster In You Resident

+88
    You are most definitely right on that one, but it does have its drawbacks though... as it's more limited than ZetaBoards but as a Jcink user, I've grown used to it. Also, didn't zIFBoards die the same way ZB and IF did?

I'm not sure if the IPB software is open-sourced though, as your last question made me think of that.

3. Mushmellow

Mushmellow Resident

+85
    Yes it did. Actually IF became Zifboards afterwards.

It must be open source since they let people have them for free. I wonder where I can download it, I'm a big fan of that version.

4. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+119
    If you don't know, IPB used to be free.
    And then, they randomly decided to go paid.

And open source and free are not the same thing. You can be free but with a proprietary license preventing you forking something and continuing it.
    The original IPB is ridiculously insecure by today's standards anyway. You do *not* want to run that on your site.

5. Mushmellow

Mushmellow Resident

+85
    Thank you for that information. I didn't know IPB use to be free. Would've been nice to download a copy when they were free.

6. PureSportsTalk

PureSportsTalk New Arrival

+1
    I too am a big fan of JCINK. I'm using their forum software for my sports talk forum.

7. ScaryFreddy

ScaryFreddy Paragon

+346
    The Best thing to do is google it and just develop your own version of it

8. Mushmellow

Mushmellow Resident

+85
    Already did and no luck! That's why I posted my question because I couldn't find it.

9. ScaryFreddy

ScaryFreddy Paragon

+346
    Follow this dude

10. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+119
    I would usually go for something a little more interesting than just another PHP forum. PHP is so 2011, all the cool kids are on Node and what-not. I personally like Go, all that juicy speed, but Python is good too.

It lets you do just that. Cool stuff. It lets you explore new things and new ideas rather than being forced into the same box everyone else has filled with the same old, same old.