Change hosting help.

Firecracker

Reputable
Reaction score
FP$
Hi everyone, could do with a bit of advice please. I created my forum on Freeforums and have purchased the domain name through them that I currently use.

I figure that if I am really serious about getting my forum going I should consider moving to a pain host. Now unfortunately I don't know ANYTHING about programming or any kind of code. This was why I chose Freeforums because basically pick a template and away you go.

So firstly… is it possible to actually do this? To move all the posts and members from Freeforums to another paid host?

Second…. I seriously doubt I have the knowledge to do. But I'm not against paying someone to do it for me. So with that in mind…. would someone else be able to do that for me? Would I have to give them my log in details as Founder member? Or could I just make them Admin? And also…. how much do you think I would need to pay someone?

Third… if I was to move would I be able to keep my domain name? Or if not is there anyway to have it re-directed so that if someone goes there it would auto send them to the new forum. And lastly! Bearing in mind that I have so little experience with this (I can obviously learn but that will take time)… Do you think it would just be more sensible to stick where I am and not bother moving to paid host? Is it possible to have a really successful forum with a free host such as Freeforums?

OK, lots of questions! Hopefully someone can help me out some. Thanks in advance!

I'm not really sure about the whole ordeal about transferring from free forum hosts. But, I would just like to recommend using ExcelledHosting.com for a paid host. I work as Head Admin of the Shared Server and some on Paid server. :) The hosting is great!

Also, I'm sure that the free forum host will allow you to transfer the domain without a fee. Although I am not positive of this. That's why I usually purchase domains from Godaddy.com instead.

To backup and restore databases, it doesn't take any coding experience. It is just clicks of the mouse inside the hosting cpanel backup manager.

If you do choose to pay someone, I wouldn't go over around $5 to do so as it doesn't seem like a big job to do. Bear in mind that you must trust the member that will be willing to do it for you because they will have total control over what happens to your forum and could potentially destroy it if left into the wrong hands.

Best of luck!

Freeforums.org wont let you transfer the domain, its only for use on their forums. Also they wont give you a forum back up for you to transfer all of your users/posts/forums. If you want to move from freeforums.org you basically have to start all over again.

You made the mistake by buying the domain from them, it would be ok if they allowed domain transfers but they dont, the domains you buy from them can only be used with forums hosted by them. I would move as your site is still small but you wont get your money back for your domain.

Good luck!

The only way you will be able to change your host is to move to HostGator which is what they call"Advanced Hosting"

They will move all the posts, members, and topics over plus the theme you are using.

Wolfy said:
The only way you will be able to change your host is to move to HostGator which is what they call"Advanced Hosting"

They will move all the posts, members, and topics over plus the theme you are using.
They cant because:
1) She is using a free host
2) It would be possible if freeforums.org gave backups which it dosent, and most free forum hosts dont.

And hostgator is not the only host in this world ;)
Very bad reviews on it.

Basically what everyone is saying is you need to install forum software on paid hosting and then reset up your forums and everything over manually and then get your members to rejoin the new forum on the new hosting.

From what I see, you're using phpbb. If you switch to paid hosting on ExcelledHosting.com, We (our support team) will gladly install phpbb for you. Also, to show my gratitude, I will help you even re-create your forum and get it back to normal.

Terrorz said:
Wolfy said:

They cant because:
2) It would be possible if freeforums.org gave backups which it dosent, and most free forum hosts dont.

Very bad reviews on it.
1) Some free hosts give you backups for free or if you pay them
2) You can by advanced host (http://www.freeforums.org/advanced.php) and then they transfer your data to Hostgator and then you can either stay with host gator or move elsewhere.

He mentioned Hostgator as they are the only host you can buy advanced hosting through on freeforums.org. We moved off freeforums.org using the above method many years ago.

Also i would not recommend taking hosting advice by someone who is part of a host. Anybody trying to sell you their hosting will of course be biased and recommend their hosting. It is better to take advice from users who do not run or are staff on a particular host otherwise you will not get completely honest feedback and recommendations.

I agree to fowler.

Extracting members, topics and posts from a forumotion forum is easier. But i'm not sure with freeforums.org.

I'm not being biased by any means. I use excelled hosting and it's a great host. I'm not recommending it just because I work for it.

What forum software are you wanting to move to? Or you want to stay where you are?

I can go ahead and tell you it is possible, with the right people. I started on a free host/forum software (proboards) and am now happily moved to smf forums (<--- too pro!)

Old Forum http://hcfwesker.proboards.com/

New Forum http://www.brawldomain.com/

I'm still in contact with the guy who wrote the crawler script that gets the members, posts, boards, etc from your free forum software, to get it up on your new software.

If you went with SMF, (which has every feature & much more than you have now) I'd be more than happy to help tutor and guide you through the brand new world of cPanel.

And, for hosting, the only hosting company I have found i was comfortable with (took me 6 different companies) was sitepearl networks. Your forum can most likely be hosted for less than $5 a month.

If you can't use your domain name, I'd suggest getting one from GoDaddy, purelyparanormal.com ... then, during the move, send a mass email/PM to all members, alerting them the domain name will change. And go back to all your links/affiliates, and kindly ask them to change your domain link to the .com one. (whenever the time comes and you are decided with what you want to do)

Fowler said:
Terrorz said:
Wolfy said:

They cant because:

Very bad reviews on it.
1) Some free hosts give you backups for free or if you pay them
2) You can by advanced host (http://www.freeforums.org/advanced.php) and then they transfer your data to Hostgator and then you can either stay with host gator or move elsewhere.

He mentioned Hostgator as they are the only host you can buy advanced hosting through on freeforums.org. We moved off freeforums.org using the above method many years ago.

Also i would not recommend taking hosting advice by someone who is part of a host. Anybody trying to sell you their hosting will of course be biased and recommend their hosting. It is better to take advice from users who do not run or are staff on a particular host otherwise you will not get completely honest feedback and recommendations.

But only if it's less then 5 MB's. If it's not they won't.

If you can get the domain off them, then you can use a crawler to get the forums, posts, threads, and members.

Featured Websites

Back
Top Bottom