Presidential Campaign revisit?

Darthmaul

Goldbergstein
Reaction score
FP$
So a while back we had presidential campaigns. I thought they were going well until later the same day they were removed. I'm not going to get into specifics, however i think we should bring this back. It's a great way to get the community together and have a great time. I mean that day there was, what, like 100 new post just because of that? It's great for activity and morale. So, what do you guys think?
Plus, i think as an additive, whoever wins should get like a rank or something ;)

I remember these, they caused quite a lot of trouble with very little gain to be honest.

I really liked this idea, I can see why others might disapprove it, but I still like the idea.

While the community gets along better then they did last time we did this, I really don't think it is worth any potential trouble that these will cause. As the saying goes "learn from mistakes". We made a mistake leaving it as long as we did and it upset people who wanted it removed and when we removed then it upset the people that liked it.

Unfortunately the fact of life is that there will always be some people that spoil the fun for everyone else and stopping that happening is easier said then done.

What were the presidential campaigns? That sounds like something that would come up here on Election Day or something like that. I don't seem to remember those?

Was that that FP Community topic we had in the Intellectual Talk section? I am completely and totally lost here.

Ashley said:
Was that that FP Community topic we had in the Intellectual Talk section? I am completely and totally lost here.
Don't worry. You're not alone. :laughing:

Started on the 2nd of August 2010

It's time for Forum Promotion to go a little more democratic - users are running wild under crazy "administrator" rule. Enough is enough! The users need to vote for just one candidate to step up and make FP great again. And that's why I'm hosting this year's presidential election.

Of course the winner receives no permissions as an administrator or what not, it's just a bit of fun. So, what's the idea? Well, if you want to run for president then you can - just write a paragraph or two about how you could make FP great. It can be anything from offering people free posts to killing next door's dog. Who cares? Not me. You can run your own wacky campaign and run the site with your craziness.

On the 10th of August, I will post a poll for us to vote on the winner. Get your followers together now.

So, you want to be FP's next president? Post here with why you should be president now.

From that point onward it descended in chaos with people arguing. There is only so much we can do to keep order and we can't watch that one topic 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and if people don't listen to staff like that case then we have no chance. It was doomed as soon as conflicts from other sites started to come here and in full public view. The users that looking back caused the issues and arguments are still here.

To be completely honest, the way it was made previously is pretty useless... the way it was set up is just asking for complaints and fighting.
I was a member of another big site (500k plus or so), and they had a serious election for the president of the site, and that president didn't get any admin powers, but he/she got access to the staff boards and was able to discuss there and stuff. That's something that's pretty cool I suppose.. and being kept under strict control (no BS arguing), but again, just an idea from something I saw on another site. It worked pretty well too from what I could see there.

Fowler said:

It's time for Forum Promotion to go a little more democratic - users are running wild under crazy "administrator" rule. Enough is enough! The users need to vote for just one candidate to step up and make FP great again. And that's why I'm hosting this year's presidential election.

Of course the winner receives no permissions as an administrator or what not, it's just a bit of fun. So, what's the idea? Well, if you want to run for president then you can - just write a paragraph or two about how you could make FP great. It can be anything from offering people free posts to killing next door's dog. Who cares? Not me. You can run your own wacky campaign and run the site with your craziness.

On the 10th of August, I will post a poll for us to vote on the winner. Get your followers together now.

So, you want to be FP's next president? Post here with why you should be president now.

From that point onward it descended in chaos with people arguing. There is only so much we can do to keep order and we can't watch that one topic 24 hours a day and 7 days a week and if people don't listen to staff like that case then we have no chance. It was doomed as soon as conflicts from other sites started to come here and in full public view. The users that looking back caused the issues and arguments are still here.

Sadly guys, I am with Fowler on this one. Last time we did this there was a whole lot of agressive arguing, as opposed to debating. Like Fowler, let me bring up the "Time flows like a river, and history repeats itself again" and this will end the same way as before. :shake:

Fowler said:

I must've taken a break from this site at the time, that's probably why I don't remember it.

Anyways, yeah, I'm not really for this idea myself. All it does is cause trouble and get out of hand, and we don't need anymore fighting or arguing or anything like that! I totally disagree with seeing this idea starting up again.

Well, i see how you guys feel about it and understand your points. However, i didn't see a mass arguing session, all i saw was 1 or 2 trouble people. Yes, all it can take is 1 or 2 sometimes, however i honestly think that this shouldn't happen again. I still say give it a shot.

Darthmaul said:
Well, i see how you guys feel about it and understand your points. However, i didn't see a mass arguing session, all i saw was 1 or 2 trouble people. Yes, all it can take is 1 or 2 sometimes, however i honestly think that this shouldn't happen again. I still say give it a shot.

Darthmaul, put your self in the staff members' shoes: Would you like to have something like this, with almost 10,000 members and one topic that could possibly turn into a flame war any given second? I certainly wouldn't. And it's like Fowler said, you can't exactly sit there and watch just one topic all day; they do have other portions of the forum to watch out for as well. If I had a big active forum such as this, I certainly wouldn't want something like that going on. I can see it happening on a smaller forum where there aren't that many members (but still reasonably active), but to have it on a big forum like this is only asking for trouble, as flame wars can easily break out at any time, and sometimes, with something this big, they can easily get out of hand to the point where members would have to be banned. I'm against this feature myself.

Darthmaul said:
I don't think you understand how many problems that topic lead too. The amount of reports was crazy. I personally don't think it's worth it. Maybe in the future when we know for a fact it wouldn't cause a Forum Promotion Civil War, but now, I see it being closed as soon as we'd open it back up.

Just my two cents.

Most forums have conducted this normally, including myself in one of my forum.We just need to take care of things, atleast would be fun!

Sever said:
Most forums have conducted this normally, including myself in one of my forum.We just need to take care of things, atleast would be fun!
Exactly. Like I said before I was on a teen forum that had hundreds of thousands of posts and they did this system just fine. If you caused trouble, you got temp banned. That's it. The problem with this is a lot of you guys are a little scared to bring the ban hammer out of the basement :D. I remember hcf and I were the only people who would constantly ban palace whenever he came back, no one else would.

obama hates santa said:
Sever said:
Exactly. Like I said before I was on a teen forum that had hundreds of thousands of posts and they did this system just fine. If you caused trouble, you got temp banned. That's it. The problem with this is a lot of you guys are a little scared to bring the ban hammer out of the basement :D. I remember hcf and I were the only people who would constantly ban palace whenever he came back, no one else would.

Very well said mate ;)

Featured Websites

Back
Top Bottom